icon

04 silverado power lock conversion

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
himynameisdrew 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2008 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2004 chevy silverado 2500HD 6.0 V8, stripped down, work truck with manual door locks.  I've been keeping tools in it and starting to lock it a lot.  It is a crew cab & is getting to be a pain to lock and unlock all four doors all the time.

what would be involved in converting this to powerlocks/keyless system?  thanks.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 28, 2008 at 4:17 AM / IP Logged  
You will need to install an actuator in each door of the vehicle. You will need to find out if you can use an old fashioned linkage based actuator, or if it has a cable based system. Somebody else can help you with that info. Then you will need to run a pair of wires into each door to power the actuators. An alarm or a keyless entry module will be needed and possibly 2 relays, depending on the alarm or module used. Then of course if you want to be able to lock and unlock without the remote, some switches are in order.
Just to give yo an Idea of what you are up against, if linkage based, the labor would be 250 dollars for actuators and keyless module.
If cable based 350 dollars.
sneakycyber 
Silver - Posts: 413
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2008 at 4:49 AM / IP Logged  
With patience it can be done, just time consuming hence the high labor rate. Either way cable or linkage (I believe its linkage) be sure not to strip the clamps and also use shrink tubing on all connections in the door or use good quality 3M brand electrical tape. Depending on the keyless system you use you will need to wire up 2 relays. You can use the diagrams provided here follow the diagram for Actuators/reverse polarity and be sure to fuse the main power lead (for the relays) in case you get something wrong. Also its best to use a metal hanger instead of the actuator bar when first bending for placement its easier than having to rebend the heavy metal for the actuator.
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2008 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  
It is linkage.
brcidd 
Copper - Posts: 274
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2008 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
I use the 5 wire actuators in the front doors- that include the switches built into them-- hence no need to add any switches- when you lock one door manually (with key or with button tab inside) then all doors lock, and unlock on demand as well-- really saves time- then couple that with a remote start and its a piece of cake to wire up...I do them for $350 with a r/s and $175 for locks alone- looks like I need to up my prices....
Brcidd - Engineer That Does Remote Starter Installs on the side.
himynameisdrew 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2008 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  

brcidd wrote:
I use the 5 wire actuators in the front doors- that include the switches built into them-- hence no need to add any switches- when you lock one door manually (with key or with button tab inside) then all doors lock, and unlock on demand as well-- really saves time- then couple that with a remote start and its a piece of cake to wire up...I do them for $350 with a r/s and $175 for locks alone- looks like I need to up my prices....

where you from?

himynameisdrew 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2008 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  

does anyone have any links to good systems to buy?

If i'm doing the locks I might do a security system while i'm at it

and while i'm at that ...maybe a remote starter??? are there any all in one systems, or is this a bad idea?

mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2008 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  
Where in Illinois are you? You might find someone on here that is close to you that will hook you up. I'm in KC if you ever make it out this way. I would check out DEI product, Compustar, or Code Alarm stuff...... All 3 make awesome product. There are other good brands out there, and I'm sure others will chime in. You can get a remote start/ alarm combo...this is the way to go. You will have to buy the actuators separate. You will also need a bypass to do a remote start.
himynameisdrew 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2008 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  
I'm from Peoria.  Still looking at doing the Alarm & Power locks.  Not dead set on remote start yet.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic