icon

fiberglass door panels for my 95 gmc 150

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2009 at 5:59 AM / IP Logged  
Hey man, engineers designed aspects in the contour of your stock panels that should not be altered for reasons that are too many. You may regret altering the door to that extent. You should hit up junk yards for spare panels or if your patient and precise, risk the ones you have. Remember, your building new panels. Contour, weight, lever trim, window sill shouldnt be altered to much.   Make every cut in reflected duplicate and build twin cities in unison. Dynamat, undercoat and the new panel is already alot of weight not intended in vehicle design. Mdf right there will get wet and heavy only to begin dissolving with the door slamming. Frame new speaker mounts to original panel, re-wrap the whole door, spots to cutout and mounting solution are complete, ample bondo needed to maintain the new form, perforate the original panel with a small drill at all angles so resin dries like its pinned down, Especially for secure bond of thin areas and anywhere the new face and stock panel have direct contact.   I know you seen the method...perhaps you have a better one I am unaware of?
This is what I do for FUN!
deeg money 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2009 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  

Ianarain,

Thanks for the advice. I believe that is some pretty good stuff you had to say. I ditched that project because someone offered me $3500 for the truck so I sold it them before I got to far on the panels. I now have an 83 chevy c10 square body I am working on. I just recently got the engine running and now I am about to start working on glassing the whole interior. For this truck I have some old door panels already on that I think I am going to cut apart and use for the base of the door for the reasons that you said. It will be much easier to work with a mold that is already there and I wont have to worry about building a custom piece to fit around the panel where the door meets the window and I will already have the cut out for the door opening lever too. I will be trailering the truck to my properties where I can start working on it under a car port. I will be posting pictures as a go along and provide as much detail as possible. Please feel free to throw out Ideas and any advice as I go along. Thanks

Deeg money
"If you cant be good, be good at it"
biggidaman 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2009 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
ianarian,

i think what you said in your post goes completely against what this whole website is about and was created for. we in the custom car audio world do what the engineers in at the factory would only dream of. we go way out of the ordinary and use every bit of our creativlty to put out the products that we do. And for you to come in here and write such a post kinda offended me. i've been building custom cars for well over 15 years. from hoppers to full glassed out custom sound Q cars.  check out my myspace photos under "rides i've built" album. and check out some of doors and how much weight i've put in them doors  and altered shapes and have never had a problem.  you should just watch how you word things man maybe i took it out of context but the way it sounded to me it realy would offend every one that uses this site.

Biggi Kustumz home base operation since 1998. car audio should be fun not work!!!!
vibrationcustum 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2009 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
biggidaman- I like a lot of your builds I need to update my myspace with things I have done. Ben lazy, I will get to it someday.
Can't be loud then don't have it.
(power acoustik system)
Head unit- TID-896 7" TOUCHSCREEN
ovn1-5500d 09 and another one coming soon
4-12" mofos 12ft3 box to 40hz (wall)
2 batterys, 1 power
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2009 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
Offense? To the commonly practiced method I vaguely described? I try to discourage mdf in moisture prone locations when I can. I recommend staying consistent with the interior design when only glassing door panels. As well as not overloading the weight of the door. My experiences and opiniarian's dont offer offense to be taken. There's no right or wrong or judgment being passed. I am here to learn by sharing ideas and knowledge with others. Obviously you have not seen my pro's vs. joe's topic.... there's nothing anyone can say that offends me.
This is what I do for FUN!
biggidaman 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2009 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  

vibrationcustum,

thanks alot man. that right there keeps a brother going. thank you for the compliment.

Biggi Kustumz home base operation since 1998. car audio should be fun not work!!!!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic