icon

average number of screwups per year?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Silvrefox 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2008 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
So I work at a Best Buy, I know, I know, maybe that's my issue, but lemme ask ya somethin: How many screwups have you had, on average, in an annual timeline. I'll even start out. 2 in 2 years. 1st one was a CTS where i bumped a mass air-flow sensor with my elbow during an amp install causing it not to start until the dealer plugged it in straight. 225 bucks. My last one was yesterday: 07 Charger, with the navi unit, doing a motorola t605. When I finished up, I started the car up and much to my surprise the touchscreen LCD is cracked. Still can't figure out how, covered everything up on it including the shifter. Anyways, that is about a 2200 dollar radio. Do some quick thinking and put in a Kenwood 5120, Ipod adaptor, steering controls, sirius, everything the factory did. Store writes it off and I think it totalled 800-850 bucks. Not only that but the guy loves it more than the original anyway, and he's bringing me his other cars to work on. Yeah, lost the money, but gained a hell of a loyal customer.
My GM blew a gasket. Says this is unacceptable and all we do is cost the store money.
2 incidents in 2 years. I don't think this is alot, am I wrong?
boosh!!
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 30, 2008 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  

I worked at Circuit City as an installer for 4+ years and never had a single accident that the store had to pay to fix.  The worst thing I ever did was broke one of those little plastic clips that hold the door open rod in to the door handle.  Cost me about $0.30 to fix!

I won't lie, I came close a time or two to having some major issues, but I was always able to repair the issues at hand without getting a dealership involved. 

Kevin Pierson
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 30, 2008 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
Oh, and the general expectation at CC when I worked there was the first incident was an accident, the second one was your resignation.   :) 
Kevin Pierson
Silvrefox 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2008 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
Though I guess I should have said my average install rate is between 7-15 cars daily, 6 days a week. The way I figure it is over 4k cars a year and I only have 2 claims in 2 years. I don't know what kind of numbers you ran, but whether you do something major or not, my policy is to let the customer know what exactly what has gone on and then let them decide a course of action. Honesty has done me well the 2 claims have more than doubled in dollars what we paid out. Just had a talk with one of our other managers and he feels its just because he holds people closer to him to a higher standard. Whether or not that's true, maybe it's a reminder that I need to get my schoolin' done.
boosh!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic