icon

12v but no power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
keetech 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2008 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  
I have recenyly purchased a '04 Ford Focus 1.8 Diesel. Everythinis ok but the windscreen washer doesn't work. I have removed the pump and checked it out by connecting it to the battery. It works fine. I metered out the connector and it recieves 12volts when the button is pressed. I connected a bulb to the connector for the washer and pressed the button but the bulb doesn't light up. The bulb is new and works fine.
Has anyone any ideas what may be wrong or what I should check. All fuses are fine.
Cheers.
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2008 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  

While either the pump or the bulb are hooked up, measure the hot wire for voltage.. you've got a problem on either the power or ground side. If you measure 12v on the bulb when you press the button, then measure voltage on the other wire on the bulb. Make both measurements with the positive (red) meter lead, with the negative (black) lead attached to the battery negative terminal.

Based strictly on what you've said, it sounds like you've got a problem on the power side.. the meter doesn't load the circuit enough to cause voltage drop to show a bad connection. Test lights (that load the circuit) do have a place in troubleshooting, but you'd better know what you're doing, else you'll take a chance on blowing something. (This probably doesn't apply in this washer pump case.. sounds like a simple circuit)

Take the measurements and let us know what you find.

Jim

ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2008 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  

your power side is fine. you have a problem on the GROUND side. most likely just an open wire.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic