icon

tweeter placement

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jdubicki 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2008 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2005 Honda Accord DX.  My car has spots for tweeters in the top corners of the dash and woofers in the door.  I had a pair of 6.5 Infinity reference coaxials running off an amp.  I am using the factory radio which only has bass and treble controls.  Anyway, this system sounded alright but I had a pair of MTX Thunder 6.6 convertables that I wanted to put in.  These have a 6.75 woofer and tweeter that can be mounted as components or coaxial.  I put them in as components and the tweeters are so overpowering it's ridiculous.  My questions are:

1. Is this because my factory radio is so basic?  The infinities didn't sound that bad.

2. Is it just bad tweeter placement, would coaxial be the best way to go because the drivers are just too hfar apart.

Also, the crossovers have no attenuation jumper, they're pretty basic

Any help or suggestions on how to deal with this problem would be appreciated.

2005 Honda Accord DX
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2008 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
  try mounting the tweets coaxial and listen to them and see if they sound better this way to you if not we can go from there.
04nata 
Copper - Posts: 358
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2008 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
Whow about putting them in the center vents, I can access those pretty easy and if I position them pointing at the seats would that work (unfortunately I cannot figure out how to access the side vents)
jdubicki 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2008 at 7:29 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply boogeyman. I was thinking of doing that anyway, but I wanted some opinions before I started the dance of removing the door panel and so on. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get started, hopefully this evening. I'll keep you updated.
2005 Honda Accord DX
jdubicki 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2008 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  

Update,

A friend of mine wanted to take a look at my setup before I went through all the trouble of moving the tweeters, and this is what we came up with. For the front and rear channels my amp has 2 settings; full range and high pass which has a cutoff of 85Hz. I had it set to high pass.  My seps however can handle frequencies down to 55Hz. With that being said I had no frequencies between 55 and 85 Hz. We now have the amp set with fron and rear to full range. The rear is a pair of 6x9's, and the front is using the include crossovers to filter below 55 hz. because of this the soundstage improved and the tweets don't sound as overpowering. I very happy with it. I'm still testing out varous music sources just to make sure, but I think it will work. I was wobndering though as to why the system did sound better with just the flick of a switch.

2005 Honda Accord DX
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2008 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
Not sure about the amp deal. What make and model of amp is it? As for dash tweeters here's my method of overcoming tweeter dominence. Cut a piece of electrical tape about the size and shape of a dime. Remove the stock tweeter grill and place the tape so it is on the grill centered over the tweeter. Take a listen. If you want more highs, make the tape piece smaller, for less highs make it larger. We used to joke and call this a "mechanical cross over"  but for dash or A-pllar tweeter locations it works quite well.
There is no such thing as free installation!
jdubicki 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2008 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
The amp is an MTX 895 5 channel. As I sid before everything sounds pretty good, I was just curious as to why. I am alway eager to learn new things and techniques for car audio.
2005 Honda Accord DX

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic