icon

sound dampening advice?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tjsiegfried 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2008 at 6:46 AM / IP Logged  
I'm going to have a new system installed in my vehicle in a couple weeks and am doing some sound dampening prep work. This will be my first time doing sound dampening work and any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've ordered Dynamat Extreme bulk pak (36 sq ft) and the economy roller (scheduled to arrive next week). I've removed the interior panels for the hatchback and rear seat areas.
vehicle: 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse (hatchback)
system to be installed:
two 12" G3 Boston Acoustics subs (375 watts rms each)
custom sub box (vehicle specific fit)
BA GT-28 sub amp
BA SL 95 (6x9) comp rear speakers
BA SL 60 (6.5") coax front speakers
BA GT-42 main amp
Here's my main question. I plan to apply Dynamat to all metal surfaces exposed after interior panel removal. There is a fairly large open area in what is the equivalent of a rear quarter panel area ... sides of vehicle, behind rear wheel wells. After applying dynamat to the inner surface of the quarter panels and rear wheel well, should I fill the quarter panel area with acoustic batt insulation?
Other questions:
Will it be sufficient to wipe down the metal surfaces with a damp cloth to remove dust prior to applying Dynamat?
Should I apply the Dynamat over wires that run close to the metal surfaces?
Any tips on the best way to tackle the project? Specifically, should I first cover the larger and flatter surfaces and then cover rounded and smaller areas?
Thanks,
Tim
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2008 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
yeah you can just stick it on anything metal, just dont do anything stupid like cover up factory wiring and holes for any clips or bolts if you have any. use a heat gun and a roller. if you dont use a heat gun it might not stick for very long. and yeah the acoustic foam is always a good idea, anything that makes it harder for sound to travel into your car mattress foam is good too. if you are using expanding spray foam (like great stuf)its important to go slow and let it expand before you put more because if you use too much too fast it can warp your outer panels. good luck
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2008 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, don't put sound dampening material over factory wiring.  Lift the wiring and put it beneath it, against the sheet metal.  I suggest using denatured alcohol to prep surfaces, not soap and water.
Support the12volt.com
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2008 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
Precut and measure and make sure no air bubbles and make sure you don't overlap the material
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic