icon

winch switch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fish2live 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2008 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2003 Land Cruiser that has a manual antenna switch.  It simply controls the antenna up and down manually regardless if the radio is off or on - this is used for off-roading so you don't break your antenna on a tree.  Now, I want to ALSO use that SAME switch to control my Winch in/out function.  I am thinking I would use another OEM switch to "toggle" the use of the stock antenna switch from one purpose to another (controling antenna, then switch over to control the winch - back and forth).

Do you think using 2 relay's like this would work??  I would just "splice" them in-line to the existing antenna switch in/out (blue and orange solid lines on this drawing).  Then, when I hit the switch it would "flip" or "toggle" the use of the antenna switch over to controlling the winch.

Or will this blow up?  ;-)

winch switch - Last Post -- posted image.

rookie
fish2live 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  

little help please...?

rookie
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2008 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
Are the control lines you show from the Antenna/Winch control switch (IN and OUT) for the antenna reversing polarity to extend and retract?
If they're the same as you use for the winch control, it should work, provided the winch circuit inputs are using relays, and not the actual winch motor.
If you verify the antenna switch lines can control your winch when directly connected, that setup should work fine. I assume you'll be using an ignition switched line for the Winch On control, so you don't run the risk of forgetting to turn it off and draining your battery through the relay coil draw.
reax222 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2008 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
From a safety point of view, this close to a bad idea. Much like the remote control setups, if something gets caught in the cable that you don't want in there, you have to get to the switch and press it. Were as most remotes, if you release the switch the winch stops.
If you are using the control interface, then it's pretty low current. Just enough to trip the relays in the brain.
If your asking about powering the winch, then pick up a 200+amp solenoid (similar to what is used to control multiple batteries). Then use the solenoid between the pos lead and the winch. You can then use any constant switch you want to activate the solenoid. I have one of these on my truck so the 6ga wire that runs to my bumper only has power when the ignition and solenoid switch is on. This should save my wire/battery should I wreck and cut the big wire, no power is going through it because the switch is off.
hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2009 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  

If you are adding a switch anyways what is the point use the switch to control a relay for the wench and leave the antenna switch alone. Keep it simple.

John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic