icon

2003 Expedition Overhead DVD Not Working w/New Radio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mtparker18 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer (with the Overhead DVD Player)

Recently my stock head unit when bad and I had it replaced at a shop. Now my DVD player does not work at all. Is there any way/suggestions on how to re wire it so it will work? I figure I can just wire it into the 12volt system, switch it, and use a LOC on the sound wires and have it goto a 3.5mm (my HU has an input). My question is, before I take it down, can any one tell me if the wires are marked and or what colors are what? Thanks.

any suggestions on other ways to make it work would be apprecated :)

Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  

There's a wire in the radio harness that has to see +12V to turn on the rear DVD.  I think it's light GREEN/ black.

Audio should be :

Left pos - white

left neg - light green

right pos - red

right neg - black

Those are low level, you shouldn't need an LOC.  All these wires are in a separate plug in the radio harness bundle. 

Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.
mtparker18 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, thank you. so I can hook the light GREEN/ black wire to the acc going into my cd player? and then I hook the negs and the pos's up to a rca to 3.5mm (cut the rca's off and use the wire)?
Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  

Metra makes a plug to integrate the factory DVD with an aftermarket stereo, model number is 70-5520AV.  With that you wouldn't have to do any splicing or cutting of the factory harness.  Their website says it works to retain factory DVD players on 03-06 Fords.  Sounds like just what you're looking for.  That would take all the guess work out and save you some time and headache.

If you can't get your hands on one of those, then the way you described should work to acheive the same results. 

Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.
mtparker18 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks. I'll read up on that

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2008 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  

The GREEN/ black will power up the DVD, but the headphones won't work.  You need to pull the DVD down and access the gray plug behind it . Connect the following

Pin 7 red to pin 5 white

Pin 17 white to pin 15 green

Pin 8 orange to pin 6 red

Pin 18 pink to pin 16 black.

Use a short piece of wire and jump them together. This will make the headphones work.  To get a video signal, look at the plug on the side of the DVD console. There are two wires twisted together, yellow and black. Yellow is the positive signal and black the neg.

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
mtparker18 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
Mike M2 wrote:

The GREEN/ black will power up the DVD, but the headphones won't work.  You need to pull the DVD down and access the gray plug behind it . Connect the following

Pin 7 red to pin 5 white

Pin 17 white to pin 15 green

Pin 8 orange to pin 6 red

Pin 18 pink to pin 16 black.

Use a short piece of wire and jump them together. This will make the headphones work.  To get a video signal, look at the plug on the side of the DVD console. There are two wires twisted together, yellow and black. Yellow is the positive signal and black the neg.

when you say pull down the dvd player, what kind of screw driver do I need? I cant see up there to figure it out.

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2009 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  
If i remember correctly there are 4 bolts, 3/16 or 9/32 in size...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic