icon

truck won't start with key

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pretty jimmy 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2000 GMC sierra, I installed a Avitial 4400 , and a idatalink  ADS-DLSL GM  bypass.  Which I had trouble wiring up...   When you remote strart the truck it is fine, other than the check engine light comes on.   But if I try to use the key the truck tries to start but then just dies..  it is acting like the passlock 2 has been activated, but the security light does not flash.   I have the bypass hooked up like this...... 

red - 12v

black- ground

blue/white-- ing #3

orange--  data plug under dash

pink-- ing#1      I have no other wires hooked up..    What is it that I am missing

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  

I haven't installed an alarm in about 15 years, the following info is based what I have learned here.  So if the info is wrong I beg for your forgiveness. 

The bypass should only be powered up when the vehicle is being remote started.  Most remote start units have a status wire or a ground out when runnning.  The ground wire of the bypass should be connected to that wire.  The problem you are having is the fact that it sees 2 keys when attempting to start with the key. Disconnect the ground wire of the bypass and see if the vehicle will start.

Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  

The theft-deterrent systems on those trucks are not key based, they have a resistance value in the ignition cylinder that the BCM must read correctly before it allows the truck to start. 

The bypass is not wired correctly, the blue/white wire should be connected to the status output of the remote start unit you've installed, it's blue on that Avital unit.  The other wiring for the bypass should be correct.

Also, are you powering up the 2nd ign wire in the truck?  Not having that wire powered can cause the check engine light to come on during remote starting and can cause damage to your transmission if left this way.

Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.
pretty jimmy 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
yes I have the ign#2 powering up during remote start.   The blue wire you are talking about..  is it the one in the ribbon style wire that connects the satilite harness to the control modual??  
pretty jimmy 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
ok I have  unhooked the bypass, and the truck still will not start with the key.  I have checked and rechecked the wiring and it is right.    I have let the truck sit for 20min  to see if I could reset the passlock... and that still did not work....   I am at a loss...
pretty jimmy 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
ok as dumb as dumb can be...  I found a wire that was unhooked  (one of the passlock wires).    But the check engine light still comes on...   either when you start it with the remote or just with the key.......
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2008 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
are you powering the 2nd ignition?
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2008 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
Try cycling the key on and off 7 or 8 times. That should make the check engine go away.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
pretty jimmy 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2008 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all your help...  But got everything figured out..  and even installed another one in a 02 sierra.  This time with no problems... 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic