icon

01 pontiac grandprix

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
canadian_jeeper 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2009 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
Hi 01 grandprix computer does not recognize the key anymore and will not start dealer wants $700 to fix can i disconnect or disable security and if so how is this done?
james bond 007 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2009 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have a PK3 stamped on the metal shaft of the key
jeckyl 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2009 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  

hope this helps

>you will need a pass key 3, or simply another key in a universal bypass box. if tried to remote start, and the car tried and quit, i believe that you are to use the key, do not start the car, wait about 30min. this should show that the pats system in the car recognizes that it is not being stolen. I dont know what security system you are using, post and I can probally dig up more info. on another note, this site offers diagrams and as I see some great help. i am new to this forum but have been in the industry for 13 years. dei makes a simple bypass module, however dei has changed their inventory and i have no suggestions for that module. take care, this seems to a nice forum, jeckyl

I am a tech that was laid off due to a car accident, I was a passenger. I have been in the audio industry for 12 yrs. I have lost some memory and would just loike some help. Nate
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2009 at 1:20 AM / IP Logged  
The Passkey 3 system on that car sends a "fuel enable" signal from the receiver at the key cylinder to the Powertrain Control Module, whenever a valid key is read by that receiver.
Your problem unfortunately cannot be resolved by just disconnecting a part or cutting a wire. However $700 sounds extremely steep. Best to call several other places first.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
lanman31337 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2009 at 9:02 AM / IP Logged  

Try the passlock 2 method.  Wind down the window, put the key in the ignition and turn it to the ignition spot, get out of the vehicle.  In about 10-15 minutes, come back, turn the ignition off, then try to start the car.  As chris said, the Passkey 3 also controls the fuel pump to prevent theft.

If that doesn't work, disconnect the positive lead from the battery, get in your car, press the brake pedal a few times to bleed out any residual power.  Leave it disconnected for about 1/2 hour, reconnect, then try starting.

If neither of those work, sounds like a bad ignition switch or Passkey 3 went wonky.

robertsc 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2009 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  

i had a grand prix kick ever key except for one

i tried reprogramming them

sent the guy to the dealer and they could't reprogram there solution was to replace the harness that the starter was tied into

so i ordered a howard key and it would't program

disconnected the battery to reset the system

after that all the keys programmed with no issues

robertsc 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2009 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  

or

BYPASSING SECURITY ENGINE NO-START & KEY RELEARN PROCEDURE

SYMPTOM: Vehicle starts but only runs for 3-5 secs.Security light continues to flash when Key is inserted and advanced to the RUN position.

QUICK FIX:

Turn the key to the RUN position – Observe: Security light will flash.
Leave Key in the RUN position
Disconnect (-) battery cable for approx 3 mins.
Reconnect (-) cable and TURN Key from RUN to START.
Security light may continue to flash but will disappear after a short time.
Security light may re-flash after a restart, and a PASSKEY III Relearn Procedure may be required.
Thanks to tholland.

DIY PASSKEY III RELEARN PROCEDURE

NOTE: Battery will discharge during this procedure (approx 30mins total). Connect Battery Charger if possible

1. TURN Key to the RUN position until security light disappears..(Approx 10mins)

2. RETURN Key to the OFF position for ~5secs.
3. REPEAT Step 1.
4. REPEAT Step 2.
5. REPEAT step 1 for a third time.
6. ADVANCE KEY directly from the RUN position to START…. If still no go, turn the key back to off for 5secs and then start.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2009 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  
i had this happen to me while working on a G6, what a PITA these pontiacs are.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2009 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
The repair price of $700.00 may be accurate. There are a couple of possiblities to try first. If you have another key for the car, does it work? If you have more than one and neither key works, it could be a defective theft module. When you factor in the cost of the part (over $500) and a couple of hours of labor for the dealer to change and program the new unit, it will likely come to this amount. Make sure that you get the dealer to stand behind their diagnosis. If the repair doesn't fix the problem, then you shouldn't have to pay for it. Unfortunately, there isn't any method to bypass the system if the main module is bad.
sparky

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic