icon

amp shuts off at higher rpms

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mjkelly93 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2009 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
Im using 2 kicker L7s in my chevy tahoe 2002 with a kx1200.1 Amp. Ive had the system for years and has been in my truck for a while now. Its all wired with 2 gauge wire. Recently, i think right around the time i installed a new battery, i noticed that the amp will shut off for about 3 seconds when i rev the engine. Its the exact same amount of time it cuts out each time, then it turns back on and tries again. If im still revving the engine, say if im climbing a hill, it will cut back out. It only happens when its sort of turned up too, but it doesnt have to be blaring loud.
If im sitting still in park at idle, i can play the stereo as loud as i want. It can get loud enough to bounce the wind shield wipers off the windshield a little bit. But the second i rev the engine, even while still in park, it will cut out for that 3 seconds or however long it is.
Im not new to systems and a friend of mine is an expert of these things. We're stuck here. Has anyone seen this before?
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2009 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  

Check the voltage at the amp when you rev.  If it drops check ground, and battery connection/fuse holder.

Check to see if your getting ac at amp, maybe diode gone in alternater.

mjkelly93 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2009 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds good.
I'll let yas know tomorrow.
mjkelly93 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
Ok well voltage drops slightly from 14 to 13ish when its revved high, past 3k rpms in park. We don't think its wiring or connections. They are all fine.
How do we check for ac by the amp, we're not sure what that means?
Any other advice?
mjkelly93 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  
The amp turns off for a split second when it does turn off then it kcicks right back on. It does not turn off for the 3 seconds. Just a split second.
mjkelly93 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
I also noticed that it doesn't seem to cut out if the truck isn't "warmed up". Like I can sit in the truck, play the same song at the same volume lvl and high rpms while I rev the engine and there's no problem. Then I take the truck for a ride and after I go a few miles it seems to start. Like after a mile at 45 mph or whatever, if I replicate the same conditions as earlier and it will cut out.
Very strange. I'm trying to get the exact circumstances down when it cuts. I think I have it just about figurted out.
Anyone want me to try anything?
97gss 
Copper - Posts: 235
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like the same thing I'm going through with a friend of mine.  Haven't figured it out either.  Does the amp itself actually cut off(light goes out), or does just the sound cut off?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic