icon

newbie, system issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jdahl09 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2009 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  

Just finished installing a new system in my SUV.  I put in sound deadening, an Alpine PDX 1.600 sub amp and Alpine 4.100 4 channel amp.  I am using a Tsunami 2 Farad cap with a power and ground distribution top.  the cap and sub amp are together under pass. seat and the 4 channel amp is under drivers seat.  I am using my Honda pilot H/U with out to an MTX Re-Q5.  RCA out to amps is Street wire ZN7. Polk component in front, coax's in rear door.  Sub in stock location is a Kicker, and subs to use when car not full are two Boston G510" dvc in a closed box wired to be a 4ohm load.

I've gone thru Alpines and MTX'x recommendations on setting up system as far as gains and crossovers.  I feel like I don't get much bass response at all out of subs,  If I try to add bass with gain adjustments on the Re Q5, I do get more but not the gut punch I expected with this set up.  Thats with the car idling in drive way.  Once on the road, I get a low freq hum as I accelerat e and the rpms drop back thru 2000 rpm and 1000rpm.  this does not go away until I disconnect either the rcas or the speaker leads from amps even with head unit off.  Or until I turn the gains down from the 12 oclock to nine oclock position on the Re Q5.  Then it is about 95% gone, but the bass (sub) is almost too.  I've been told the ground could be bad, as I used a bolt hole in floor of vehicle.  Also, the  Re Q5 unit is up behind glove box and ground is wired from there to same spot as amps to create a "ground loop isolator"  Also, because the 4 channel amp is by itself under drivers seat the ground cable from there to the common ground point is about 3 feet in length.  I did drill a hole to try and new ground point to no avail.  any ideas would be appreciated. thanks

calijtee1 
Copper - Posts: 121
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2009 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
are your signal wires and power wires running parallel to the car. or do you have them side by side running together?  do you have any other in line drivers besides the mtx q?
installers do it best. we got the magic hands!
trunkmonkey037 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2009 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
I've had only bad expierences with the MTX Re-Q they haven't worked at all, sounded like crap, or never worked well enough. The solution we always resort to is change it out for the $45.00(are price, may differ in your local area) stinger High level and as far as your hums are concerned make sure you speaker wires and RCA's areall well seperated from your power wires.
Never Look A Monkey In The Eye!!
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2009 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
Run the power wires separate from the rcas and speakers wires. Make sure that you have a good ground and that all the paint is sanded off so its down to bare metal. Also check the grounds for the battery and alternator to make sure they arent rusted of corroded.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic