icon

white noise coming from subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
trae08 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2009 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
So you mean there was another problem that caused the mosfet to bust?
Under normal circumstances and being 3 years old what would cause something like this?
Also the amp still puts out perfect bass but should i just unhook it from the power source anyway to prevent damage to the subs?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 14, 2009 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  

I know.   Do you have an ohm meter?   All of the output devices that are directly connected to the exploded one need to be replaced.  With the meter we can determine how many of them are shorted.  Once we find that out, we can cut the shorted ones from the equation and see if the amp will play properly with the remaining transistors.  The only thing this will do is let us know if there are other problems, or just the shorted outputs.  Once we cut the shorted devices out, you need to reinstall it and see if the noise is still there.    If you have a meter and want to check it out so I can let you know what you are looking at to get it repaired. 

Are the number on the FETs  IRFP3415?

Did the metal screen mounted to the inside of the plastic in the center of the amp fall into the amp?  You are probably looking at a 250 dollar repair.  (Assuming the other 8 outputs are OK) Those transistors are soldered to those strips.  DO NOT TRY AND REMOVE THEM WITH PLIERS.  You must use a torch. 

trae08 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2009 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
Alright here we go, i know how to take things apart but have no idea what most of the stuff inside is, so yes i have an ohm meter, what do you mean by output devices? and what do you mean by cut them out?
and also are the numbers important? cause i already put everything back together, if you have to have them i can get em though.
you mean the screen on the inside of the top cover right? no that was still attached to the cover,
wasn't going to try and remove anything.   but thanks for the tip. and all the help
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic