icon

eq to stock head unit?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 08, 2009 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
One of the harnesses he mentioned will plug into the harness in your vehicle.  The other harness will plug into your factory radio.    Each of the mentioned harnesses will have wires that need to be connected to the same color wire of the other harness.   When connecting the harnesses together, connect the LOC to the front or rear speaker wires.
6thaveme 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  

Understood now how will i figure out the color codeing for the stock harness

4 12s cvr sealed
2 hifonics bxi608d
1 kinetic hc 800
alpine reciever
infinity kappa door speakers
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
you could do a search online or buy that radio harness, dont open it, just look at it for reference, and then return it. does that radio hare the two long plugs or one long plug and a square, L shaped plug with a gray shielded wire comming off of it?
another thing you can do is to use a multi meter to find the speakers using the ohms setting. probe 2 wires at a time, on fords each set of speaker wires will probably be side by side on the plug. once you find a set of wires that meters 4 ohms you can use a battery with wires to pop the speaker to find out exactly which one it is
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  
Use the adapters and that way you don't have to hack the factory wiring harness. It's worth the $40 investment.
Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
6thaveme wrote:
Understood now how will i figure out the color codeing for the stock harness
If you use the adapters, you wont HAVE to figure out the color codes. Metra has already done all of the hard work for you!
One of those harnesses will plug into the car, on that harness you will be connecting the power, accessory, and ground to the OTHER harness, as well as the power, accessory, and ground to the EQ. All of the speaker leads are left unconnected, and "taped off" or otherwise insulated.
On the OTHER adapter, the one that will be plugged into the back of the stock deck, you will connect the speaker leads (which are the outputs FROM the radio) to the speaker level inputs to the EQ. I am only assuming there are speaker level inputs, because getting complete information from you (SO *WE* CAN HELP *YOU* COMPLETELY) is like pulling teeth. (DYohn asked what EQ you had, and we get "Clarion" as an answer. What MODEL Clarion, please...)
Once you have the EQ connected to the deck via the speaker level inputs, now you have your RCA outputs from the EQ. You DO know this will most likely have to be an amplified system once you have the EQ installed, right?
soundnsecurity wrote:
you could do a search online or buy that radio harness, dont open it, just look at it for reference, and then return it.
Good advice, that... NOT! And people wonder why the economy is in the crapper. If you buy it, USE it. If you were buying from MY store, I'd make sure you couldn't return ANYTHING. Just because somebody offers a return policy, that is no excuse to abuse it. A sale is a CONTRACT, and the vendor is under ZERO obligation to return something, "just because you don't want it". Generally, I agree with nearly everything you type, soundnsecurity, but this one really raised my ire. Please don't make that suggestion again.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
6thaveme 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the help but now that you guys explained all this to me it seems like its cheaper and a much better idea to get an aftermarket h/u and wire the eq to that harness.

4 12s cvr sealed
2 hifonics bxi608d
1 kinetic hc 800
alpine reciever
infinity kappa door speakers
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
6thaveme wrote:

Thanks for the help but now that you guys explained all this to me it seems like its cheaper and a much better idea to get an aftermarket h/u and wire the eq to that harness.

In which case you'll only need the 70-1770 wiring harness to connect the aftermarket HU into the factory wiring harness. The EQ - which you likely really don't need to use at all - would be connected via the RCA-outputs from the new HU.
Support the12volt.com
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
soundnsecurity wrote:
you could do a search online or buy that radio harness, dont open it, just look at it for reference, and then return it.
Good advice, that... NOT! And people wonder why the economy is in the crapper. If you buy it, USE it. If you were buying from MY store, I'd make sure you couldn't return ANYTHING. Just because somebody offers a return policy, that is no excuse to abuse it. A sale is a CONTRACT, and the vendor is under ZERO obligation to return something, "just because you don't want it". Generally, I agree with nearly everything you type, soundnsecurity, but this one really raised my ire. Please don't make that suggestion again.
i wouldn't do it personally, especially not with anything that costs more than $20, but does it hurt the seller? no. they are no worse off than if it hadn't happened at all. that is also why some shops have a restocking fee, if they dont then they are inviting abuse of the return policy and obviously couldn't care less if it happens or not. call it a deposit for a rental. but, thats why i also gave him a few other options. and like he said, the install is not for him so it is not really his decision to spend any money. oh and im sorry, i didn't mean to make the economy cry.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic