icon

how would i imitate this?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rxsilvia 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2009 at 2:42 AM / IP Logged  
If you're talking about shaving the door handles and stuff off then im pretty sure you need to motorise the doors or something rather not too sure..how would i imitate this? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
dwofford 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2009 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
i didnt put the link on there to shave the handles butthe proccess is the same to shave the trim
lil evo 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2009 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

wow......was somebody serious when they built that?

eric123 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2009 at 2:22 AM / IP Logged  
This isn't to hard of a project. I did the same thing on my accord. The way I would recommend would be to use sheet metal and weld strips. I don't know about using fiberglass and how well it will stand up to the door being slammed open and closed. A couple of things I learned when doing my doors was that you need to tack weld very slowly. Because the door panels are curved applying to much heat from your welder all at once will cause the door panel to warp, and pop in. It's a difficult fix how would i imitate this? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.. Tack 6 inches apart and let cool. Then tack the center of these tacks and let cool. Then tack the center or these. Grind down your tacks nice and smooth, and thing layer or body fill, sand and paint. Depending on the car you may run into an issue like I did where your door won't be able to open without hitting the fender, and your back door without rubbing on the body. To fix this you need to notch the steel on the fender and the body when filling the trim in on these locations.
eric123 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2009 at 2:31 AM / IP Logged  
Edit*
The back door will rub on the front door, not the body.
93_civic 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2009 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
hey thanks alot eric123 that was very helpful and imformative! how would i imitate this? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
johnnyhenry 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2009 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
where i work we do body kits like this all the time. all it is is a body kit possibly a couple different pieces from different kits with fender flares and everything is fiberglassed together where you dont see one begin and the other end. not recommended cause at one point or another ur gunna curb check either the rear bumper or the front bumper and break it and when there glassed together makes way more damage
blackcivichatch 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2009 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
Get It down to bare metal. Rough if up with some low grit paper. Drill some small holes for the fiberglass to stick to. When laid properly, fiberglass Will flex. Tell your people not to slam the door and you'll be jus fine
UNLABELED Custom Car Club President
d_rock_81 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2009 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
do not fiberglass it. weld in patch panels slowly. tack them in then tack at 1" intervals all around then tack next to the tacks all around and keep moving like that. basically your going to weld the whole thing with tack welds moving around the panel so as not to warp it with heat. same when you grind the welds down, don't hold the grinder over the same spot. heat will build up and the panel will warp. just take your time.
Fiberglass will not hold up. if you "drill holes for the fiberglass to stick to" moisture will get to the back of it causing it to fail. "Fiberglas is flexible" paint is not without an additive that is used when painting plastic parts, you will need body filler and with fiberglass as a backing unit it will crack.
Dustin Rockney
Rockstar Autosports
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic