icon

2007 f150 adding steering whl controls

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
woodn01 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2009 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2007 ford f-150 xlt that did not come with steering wheel controls. I just purchased the controls from ford that replace the cruise controls on my steering wheel and give me cruise, radio, and a/c controls. I installed them today but they are not working the radio. I had to pin a wire on the backside of the clock spring and ran a wire to the back of the radio and pinned it in pin 18 of the main harness. The wire is show the correct changes in resistance when the buttons for the radio are pressed. The rest resistance of the wire is 5k ohm and the pin output of the radio without the control wire plugged in is 4.9 volts. Once the control wire is pinned in place, there is no more voltage output from the radio. I took a radio from an f-350 with steering wheel controls that was 05-06 year model and that radio worked perfect in my my truck. I tried my radio in that truck and my radio did not work with that truck. Is there a reference wire on the 07 that I am missing? I checked the harness on the f-350 and there was no refernce wire for that truck but it was an older truck than mine. I don't know if ford made a different radio for different trim levels other than the audiophile radios or am I missing a reference wire. All help is welcome and thank you for any help. Also I am a professional installer so you can be as technical as you want.
-nick
thunda_hawg 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2009 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
odds are the radio you got is not set up with that circuit for the steering controls.
89' 240sx
Rockford t8004
boston z6 comp.
eclipse 3432
polk MM 8"
Taylor owes Joe a Sandwich
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2009 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  

hi,

checked the manuals pertaining to steering wheel controls on '05-'07 F150's and F250's.  ford labels the controls differently but the resistance values are basically the same for both chassis.  the F150 references the ground into the headunit whereas the F250 references the ground to the vehicle itself.  so try applying a ground to pin 19 (SWC -) of your head unit.  the rest resistance is relative to ground of course, not sure if you need an additional pin at the clockspring however.

m

woodn01 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2009 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
thanks ween! i will try to do that tomorrow at work. gonna be a busy day but i'll try to work it in between the customers cars. once i figure this out, i am gonna look into doing the digital a/c controls. the only other pin open at the clockspring is for the a/c controls
thunda_hawg 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2009 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  
my bad , i totally forgot about that . good thing you had a manual on hand.
89' 240sx
Rockford t8004
boston z6 comp.
eclipse 3432
polk MM 8"
Taylor owes Joe a Sandwich
woodn01 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2009 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
well, i tried the wire direct to ground in pin 19 and no luck. i want to say that it is not built into the radio, but if i put ground into the pin directly above pin 19, the radio says phone. if the radio can do phone function then it should do steering wheel controls. didn't have much time to play with it but will try some more tomorrow probably.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic