icon

aux input on delco cd

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shawn3091 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2009 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
I am adding a aux input on the factory am/fm/cd radio in my 92 cavalier z24, i need to know which wires are the audio inputs from the cd unit to the amp inside the radio? id appreciate any help/schematic to find the correct wires, should be a left + and a right + from the cd unit to the amp
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 15, 2009 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
Purchase one of these http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productid=2062620  and one of these, http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productid=2062452  You will need a few feet of small wire to make a ground and a probe to attach to the plug.  With the radio out of the dash of the vehicle and the CD mechanism removed (only if you can not get to the wires of the mechanism that go to the deck)  Ground the ground wire of the plug to the chassis of the radio.  With a CD playing in the CD player and the radio volume all the way down.  Volume up a bit on the amplified speaker, touch each connection on the harness that connects CD mechanism to the mainboard.  2 connections will play audio out of the little speaker.  Those are the 2 signal wires.  If you still want to use the cd player, you will have to wire a switch to switch between CD and Aux In.  Let me know if you need help with that part of the project.
shawn3091 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2009 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  

i was just going to use a old set of headphones to check for audio output on each of the wires from the cd unit, i know how to wire it all up, just wondering if anyone knows which wires, to save me some time, thanks for the idea though

i am an idiot 
Posted: March 15, 2009 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
The level coming out of the CD mechanism is probably not hot enough to hear on a set of headphones.
shawn3091 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2009 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
if not then i will get that amp from radio shack or even computer speakers i have with its built in amp would work i think
shawn3091 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2009 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
1 more ?    How do i find the wire that tells the amp to turn the radio part off when a cd is inserted, i know whichever one it is needs to be hooked up to a switch that grounds it
i am an idiot 
Posted: March 16, 2009 at 6:26 AM / IP Logged  

Burn a CD with blank audio tracks.  Insert it when wanting to listen to Aux In.  You can probably find the wire that does what you want it to do.  It will probably not need to be grounded.  It will probably go to 12 volts or 5 volts when CD is inserted.

Amplified computer speakers will work fine.     If there is any DC voltage on the signal wires, you will need to insert a 10 Mic non-polarized capacitor between the Aux In signal wires and the wire you tap into.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic