icon

audiovox ccs 100 in non vss honda civics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wannacc 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2009 at 12:53 AM / IP Logged  

After spending many hours installing one of these into a 91 manual Civic, I opened the bag of the "magnet kit" and discovered (on page 2) the little note: "this magnet kit cannot be used on Honda vehicles" (they'd underlined cannot).  In my ensuing conversations with Audiovox, no one could or would tell me exactly why. The closest I got to an explanation was this e-mail:

Due to electrical conflicts in the under hood area of these vehicles, the CCS-100 is not recommended for Honda vehicles for safety reasons. We do offer a cruise control that will work for your customer. The part numbers you will need are 250-1316, 250-3421, and 250-4249. Those parts are the main unit , the control switch and the throttle adaptor respectively.

I of course asked "what electrical conflicts?" Having worked on Japanese cars for over 20 years, I'm not aware of any electrical device in the "under hood area" of Hondas that differs greatly from other Japanese (or American) cars. I never got a clear answer. 

Having gone this far with the installation, I'm inclined to install the magnet and see what happens.  But if anyone here has had experience with these units in Hondas (particularly with the magnet sensor), I'd appreciate any insights.  For "safety reasons". audiovox ccs 100 in non vss honda civics - Last Post -- posted image.

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2009 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
If the manufacturer underlined the word cannot, there is probably a very good reason for it. Take a moment and think about it. If the engineers that design these cruise parts can't get them to work properly/safely on a specific vehicle and go to all the trouble to highlite this point, what makes you think you can do it. It would be my guess that there is either an electrical issue that will interfere with the cruise module. I have seen this happen on various cars. Cruise controls that are not properly installed can be a danger to everyone on the road. Are you going to risk your and others safety over a few dollars and wasted time? I have done literally thousands of cruise control installs and I keep one thing in mind when doing them. Would I trust this cruise to work correctly with my family in the car? Use the kits that are recommended and cut your loses. I will be that if you bought the unit from a reputable dealer they would let you return the kit and buy the new one.
sparky

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic