icon

2006 chevy colorado reduced power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mtdoramike 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2009 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  

Hi, I have a 2006 Chevy Colorado with 20,000 miles on it. On the way home yesterday, the alarm started to chime and the error message "REDUCED POWER" was displayed above the odometer. I also noticed a considerable drop in power and the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT came on and stayed on. I drove it the 1/2 mile home and then reset the odometer to clear the error message, but the check engine light still stayed on.

This morning, I called the chevy dealer who told me to bring in the truck. When I started it up, the engine rattled  a little and the check engine light went off and stayed off all the way to the dealer. It also had full power. The service tech put it on a machine and checked it, but found no issues. He cleared the computer and told me if it happens again to bring it back. He also said that the electronic throttle housing could be the culprit since it's due to be cleaned at 2 years or 30,000 miles at $119.00. Some how I don't think that is the issue. I drove it home without incident.

It worries me because my warranty will expire in June.     

maryland33 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2009 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
That does'nt sound right to me either,if the check engine light comes on then you should have a stored code.A diag.machine should have picked that up.Why clear the computer?(fishey!)
bwhvac065@aol.c 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2009 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
can u buy an extended warranty? if not try to foot the 119.00 for the cleaning but try your hardest to get to the root of the problem dont just take what the service tech says get alot of opinions. good luck bub
Blazerspl
6 rockford 12s
5500 watt pa amp
12.0 cubic enclosure
BIG 3
torya77 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  
I own a 2006 Chevy Malibu that was doing the same thing ... only after a few days mine cut out constantly, it would restart but everytime you slowed down there was the possibility it would die.   It was the Throddle Positioning sensor .. which of course you can't buy itself ... you have to buy the Throddle Body from Chevy at $150 but it worked and it has run fine since.   So there is a good possibility that is whats wrong with your Chevy... but if its $119 just to clean it you may want to find out what it would be to replace it... and my suggestion would be to find a good mechanic outside of the dealership... their rates are crazy!!!  my guy charged me $60 to install (took him 30 mins)  after I purchased the part dealership would have been over $300 to installed after I bought the part. 
Torya

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic