the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

engine light, code p0171, 2001 kia sport.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Phenz 
Copper - Posts: 48
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2009 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  

I have a problem that I cannot figure out. I had a new Alarm, Prestige with remote starter installed in my 2001 Kia Sportage a week ago. That's when my problems began. It seems that every now and then after remote starting my car, the check engine light will come on shortly after driving. I have had the code read several times, and always get P0171. I never had this issue prior to having the remote start/alarm installed.

After weeks of looking for a reputable place in my area, i thought I made the right choice. My mistake. It does not seem to fail that every time I have taken my car in to get something installed at local shops, something goes wrong.

Not to bore you with the details, but in hopes of providing some background on the situation:

This time, the alarm installer broke/cracked my dash light dimmer switch from the front console and initially denied having touhed it. I was able to prove that they removed it because when they put it back (cracked and all) it was installed upside down. The result of them cracking it was that I have no interior dash or gauge lights (console lights) whenever I turn on the driving/parking lights. They are working on getting me a replacement. I called the dealership and a new one is $95.00

I hope someone can help me diagnose this problem. I have checked online to see if I can loctae anything, but no luck yet.

I am very sure it has something to do with the remote starter. Maybe with the installation itself, or with a setting on the alarm/remote start system.

I have brought it to their attnetion, and they say I must simply unplug the battery for a few minutes to resolve the issue. This can not be right!!!

Thanks, Phenz from NYC

91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 08, 2009 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
These are the mostly likely to cause that code.
Fuel delivery system malfunction.
Clogged fuel injectors.
Fuel injector malfunction.
Intake or exhaust system leak.
Mass Airflow (MAF) sensor malfunction.
Throttle Position (TP) sensor malfunction.
Since an R/S was recently installed. I would check:
- the injectors plugs to make sure they are all attached firmly.
- an unplugs MAF sensor
- check for cracks in the intake track and the vacuum hoses, something may have been damaged while they were under the hood.
Phenz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2009 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks 91stt. I will take a look at it tonight.

Where can i find the MAF sensor on my vehicle, and what would it look like?

Phenz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2009 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  

I found a link http://extreme-check-engine-light-codes.com/blog/obd2/kia-sportage-with-code/ that shows what seems to be like the MAF sensor and its location. If you can confirm this is the right item to check I will look it over tonight.

Would they have had to unplug this sensor to get the remote starter installed?

91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 08, 2009 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
The MAF is on the left side of the engine compartment just after the air filter.
Hard to say why things are unplugged sometimes. May have been unplugged by accident or better judgement.
Phenz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2009 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  

I am stumped. I took the cover off the engine last night and looked over the MAF sensor. It was plugged in correctly (not loose, dirty or damaged from my observation). I also looked over all the hoses under the hood and they all seemed fine. None were broken/cracked or loose.

I did find the positive battery terminal was completey loose and dancing on the battery post. I tightened it down correctly.

I also found the cover/plug for checking the transmission oil was not completely pushed down. I made sure to leave it correclty.

When I went to tighten the battery terminal I unplugged it one last time for a few minutes to get rid of the check engine light. I had hoped that the adjustments I made to the battery terminal and plug for transmission might have solved the problem. I drove to work this morning with no problem. The light did not come on once.

Then this afternoon on my lunch break, I took a ride and the check engine light came back on. I ran over to get the code read again and same thing. P0171. What am I missing. I am led to beleive that the engine light only comes on after I use the car when having remote started it. Could the timing on the remote start be causing this problem? 

I regret ever having this thing installed. I probably could have done a better job myself if I had the time to do it.

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,603
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2009 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
might be a silly question but i'll ask anyway, if the check light came back on after you remote started and did a key takeover, the are all your ignition wires correctly powered, have the installer recheck this, having ignition wires unpowered during the remote start sequence could cause the check light, just a thought.
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2009 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
Two things, disconnecting an ignition wire (by mistake during engine run can do this but on most vehicles it usually self corrects after a few miles) or as t&t says not connecting the second ignition and accessory could do this. If there's a wire at the ignition conect it!
Phenz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2009 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks. I was out of town for a few days, and am back to see if I can get this resolved. i am scheduled to take the car back hopefullythis weekend to have the installer look over the connection. I will follow your advice and suggest to him that he re-check that all the ignition wires are correctly powered during remote start.

How do I know if my car has a 2nd ignition wire?

Thanks. Will keep you posted.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic