icon

alternator problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boosted1 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2009 at 2:16 AM / IP Logged  
ok so here is the deal a rockford p400.4 installed into a 2007 dodge nitro, channel 1 and 2 running the front highs and 3 and 4 bridged into a 12sub the problem is that the alternator went out about 3 weeks after the install and 2 weeks later the new one went out again so whats the deal? i dont know what size alternator these come with is it just too small for that amp? i told him to put in a cap he didnt yet should i run a ground all the way to the neg on the batt to make sure this is not my wiring lol its such a simple install and i have never ever had an alt go out yet 2 of them in 6 weeks lol so whats the deal he thinks its got to do with my work but that cant be any ideas?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2009 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  
1: Ummm... Chrysler product. I hate to sound disparaging, but hey... Of the Detroit automakers, they are CONSISTENTLY rated as the worst reliability by Consumer Reports, and electrical issues rank WAY up in the list for actual repair necessities. Your wires tripled the KBB value of it. 2: A CAP WILL NOT HELP! That was just a bad suggestion from the get-go 3: The ground wouldn't cause this issue.
His fix is NOTHING but a high-output alternator and the Big 3. I wouldn't think that the OEM alternator is rated THAT close to the bone, but it's entirely possible. Was the battery checked at the time of alternator replacement?
:::::EDIT:::::
A little research reveals that the alternator on all trim levels is 160A. I can't see that adding a 400W amplifier (especially a RF 400W amplifier) would tax that alternator to the point of failure.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2009 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
there is the possibility that your battery is bad and that could have helped along the initial falure for the alternator and possibly the second one as well if the battery is still bad. you say you got a "new" alternator. really? a new one? or an autozone/checker/pep boys reman special. there is a huge difference.
bwhvac065@aol.c 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2009 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
i agree you should make sure the alt was new and not a reman, but if the car is an 2007 it should still be under warranty? But who knows i had two water pumps leak before i got one that didnt leak fron autozone either way good luck
Blazerspl
6 rockford 12s
5500 watt pa amp
12.0 cubic enclosure
BIG 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic