icon

kenwood x792 and xm radio not working

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
juicedsaleen 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2009 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
I've had my kenwood x792 for a few months worked fine. I also bought the xm adapters to use satellite radio w/ it. Now I put everything in and when I switch my source to SAT I got the channel 1 xm preview station so I know everything was working (at the time I didn't have the xm service active since I only drive the vehicle in the summer) At any rate....I had this radio added to my xm account on friday. I have xm on my other vehicles w/o issue so I'm not new to it by any means. So I let the channels load up and scanned thru all 250 stations no problem. However once I go to set my xm stations to one of the radio presets I loose all xm signal to the radio instantly. The display just says loading and will not pick up any stations at all after that. wth?!?! I can scan thru the channels all day w/o a problem but as soon as I go to set an xm station to radio preset it stops working all together. I have no idea if it's the adapter, radio itself? The radio presets work fine in the am/fm and cause me no problem at all. Why am I having this problem w/ the xm? Could it be the adapter?? I'm really going crazy trying to figure out how this is happening???
juicedsaleen 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2009 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  
alright, so I just got off the phone w/ kenwood. They told me it was a problem with the adapter.
my headunit is an kdc-x792
I used an xmd1000 (universal tuner box) and xmdken100 (digital adapter)
Now when I bought this stuff I was under the impression it was the correct stuff however after speaking w/ kenwood and terk tech support. Apparently this is the WRONG adapter for my particular headunit and I need CNP-2000UC and possibly CNPKEN1. From what I was told it was a software issue w/ my tuner box (that's screwing up my presets) and I need the cnp-2000uc that is meant to work w/ my x792 head unit. I wasn't aware that the UNIVERSAL tuner box I bought wasn't as UNIVERSAL as I thought. Does that sound right to you guys? I don't want to go out and buy this adapter to have the same problem.
kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy - Posts: 227
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
My deck is a few model numbers lower than yours, it's a x492, yet it is satellite-ready.  Are you saying even though it says this that I still need an adapter of some sort?  Great!  Oh well, I only listen to the USB anyway, and rarely the radio so I doubt I would get much use out of the XM.  However, I do have XM in my house and ONLY listen to it.  In fact, I recently bought a brand new Onkyo 6-disc CD changer and have only used it twice!  I'm hooked on XM, especially channels 56 and 84 (can't understand why I can't get 57).
juicedsaleen 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
yea, you need the adapter. Check and see if the xmd1000 and xmdken100 would work w/ your x492. Mine are practically brand new (I installed them on my car and found out I need the different adapters for the 792) I'll sell them cheap if your interested.
kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy - Posts: 227
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  

Okay.  I'll call Kenwood in the morning or maybe check their website later. 

Oh, by the way, is your 792 pretty new?  I only ask because when I got my 492 it seemed top of the line but now I find better in the Kenwood line-up.  I'm assuming yours is brand new.

I'll let you know if your adapters will work.  That sucks that you even need one after buying a deck.  Just one more way for them to get more of your money!

juicedsaleen 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
kenwood_nut wrote:

Okay.  I'll call Kenwood in the morning or maybe check their website later. 

Oh, by the way, is your 792 pretty new?  I only ask because when I got my 492 it seemed top of the line but now I find better in the Kenwood line-up.  I'm assuming yours is brand new.

I'll let you know if your adapters will work.  That sucks that you even need one after buying a deck.  Just one more way for them to get more of your money!

my 792 is an 08 model. I bought it brand new last year. Although they are "Ready" you still need adapters for everything...ie bluetooth, hd radio, satellite radio, etc...sure gets expensive!
juicedsaleen 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2009 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
Well as an update. I got the cnp2000uc and cnpken1 installed today. My presets finally work as they should. It was a costly error on my part (having to buy 2 xm tuners) not realizing I purchased the wrong universal xm receiver initally....but maybe it will help someone out in the future. Make sure you research your application and you buy the correct adapter for your receiver the first time. Best bet would be to contact your manufacturer.   Like I've learned the wrong adapter still may work but you'll end up w/ problems like I had. I think the "universal" on the packaging is a bit misleading.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic