icon

remove or fix, aps785

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
perhaps0369 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2009 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
i have a audiovox aps785 installed in a 1990 ford f250. i bought the truck with the alarm installed. it worked fine until 2 days ago and it won't allow the truck to start. there was a click and then nothing. nothing electrical works key on or off. i pulled the neg bat cable. this worked once. now it will just lock up when i do this and then turn the key. the alarm will still activate with the remote, and deactivate. but when i do deactivate there is alot of clicking, at the door locks and at the , i believe , relays. the valet switch will not seem to work as per the instructions i got off line. i would be just fine in disabling the system, but have not been able to find any info on that. diagnosis is an option but i have limited knowledge and can't seem to find any shops that will work on it. any input would be graetly appreciated.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2009 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  
Are the ignition lights coming on? If not it isn't the alarm. Check ALL the fuses.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 06, 2009 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  

Unless the starter kill relay was installed on the Ignition Switch input wire.  Then a failed connection would have the symptoms you are having.   Highly unlikely, but we do not know who installed your alarm.  Under the dash there should be a relay connected to the orange wire of the alarm.  On that relay there should be 2 large wires, follow them and they should both be connected to the same color wire.  Simply connect those same color wires together.  This will essentially remove the starter kill of the alarm.  That is the only thing that could affect the car and make it do what you are describing.

If the wire of the alarm is not orange, somebody let him know what color it is.

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Posted: May 06, 2009 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
I was thinking the same thing as "i am an idiot."
And yes, the wire coming from the main APS785 brain, going to the starter kill relay, will be orange.
And the two thick wires coming from the starter kill relay will be black, and WHITE/ black.
Just like he said.....follow the white black and the black to wherever they're going (probably the ignition switch wiring coming down the steering column).........disconnect them both from the factory wire from the car, and put the factory wire back together.
perhaps0369 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2009 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  

to answer the first question, no there are no lights in the dash at all when it does this. like i said, it seems all electric is stopped, because the radio won't even work. the starter kill relay is what i was thinking also, but wasn't sure if removing it would affect anything else.

one more thing, a buddy came over and started to look at it, and the truck started just fine. the other thing i was wondering is, would the battery being low possibly cause this problem, as he had me turn on the headlights, and then it started a minute or two later when he tried it. it continued to start after that. i will be testing again tonight when i get home from work. thanks for all the input.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Posted: May 06, 2009 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
Yes a weak battery could do that too. Check that before you go tearing the starter kill circuit out of the vehicle.
perhaps0369 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2009 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
now i am completely lost. the truck started last night after sitting for 8 plus hrs, then again this morning after10 plus hours. when i ran the truck i ran all the accesories hoping to cause battery drain and simulate problem, but none. i started the truck 5 times today, tried to drain battery one attempt, and set alarm and turned it back off and still truck started. i put all the wires back and put alarm brain back and i guess will just have to wait to see if it does it again. any ideas of things to check would be great in meantime. again thanks for input. fred
awdeclipse 
Copper - Posts: 285
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2009 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
Could be an intermittent short drawing the battery down. Next time it acts up measure your battery voltage to rule out a weak battery as one of the causes.
loneranger 
Copper - Posts: 572
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2009 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
  • Throughly inspect the terminals and cables, at the battery.
  • Throughly inspect the GROUND terminals and cables, from the battery, at the block and body locations.
  • Throughly inspect the 12v POSITIVE terminals and cables, from the battery, at the alternator and solenoid/starter locations.

A weak connection; corrosion; or faulty wire crimp, at any of these locations, can also cause this symptom.

Ideal - cmon dude, add to topics in a useful manner, not stuff that is obvious.
Story - Phzzzt! Hey, what happened?! ... Isn't it obvious?
Moral - Never dismiss the obvious.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic