icon

which 12’s should i get?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soundcontrol 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2009 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  

You really can't miss. If you go the ebay route almost everything will fit your budget. For the heavy low bass most people would suggest a ported enclosure. There are some really good prefab ones out there that fit in the general requirements given by most companies.

Kicker is one off the top of myhead  that gives a lot of different reccomended box suggestions.

You have plenty of power to spare and if space isn't an issue I would suggest looking around at some places and listing to whats available and see what sounds best to you,

I bought and sold a lot of subs, from low, mid, to very hi-end and have not been disappointed yet. The box will make a huge difference, along with the proper setup of the amp.

Just do something
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2009 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
just for your information, if you want to go to a pre fab ported box and listen to rap music you better have a sub that can handle unloading at low notes. pre fab ported boxes are usually tuned pretty high like above 40hz. so what happens is when you hit a low note below 40 hz or so, ( rap music is filled with them) your ported box will basically lose control of the sub woofer and the cone will be flapping in the wind and i would dare to say that this is one of the biggest causes of mechanical failure in subwoofers. so if you want to avoid this happening i wouldn't stick your nice sub in a pre fab ported box, i would build or have one built and have it tuned to below 35hz.
also pre fab boxes are usually built poorly to begin with, i know that kicker boxes barely have nails in them and are mostly held together by a little glue and the carpet its wrapped in so there are a ton of good reasons you shouldn't go the way of the pre fab box, ported or sealed.
soundcontrol 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2009 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  

Not sure about Kickers but Audio Enhancers (AE) makes some nice boxes. Plus they make a lot of sub specific boxes for brands like MMats, JL, Diamond, and Kicker. Built to their specs for airspace and port tuning frequencies. But if you have the time and ability building is a great option

No matter the sub you would be smart to properly set your amps subsonic filter at or above what the box is tuned at. Then set your crossover to your listening preference. This will help keep you from damaging any sub you may decide to purchase.

Just do something
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 22, 2009 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
Audio Enhancer boxes might as well be prefab...Too little port area IMO in pretty much all of their boxes.
Custom Enclosure Design
soundcontrol 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2009 at 1:29 AM / IP Logged  

They are prefab.

But they do make enclosures specific to certain companies and their suggested specs. Add a couple of braces and your ready for action

So have you made any choices on the subs yet?

Just do something
whitemike0110 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2009 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
I'm getting two RE SX's 12s but i got a new box for them. I havent got it yet but i'm almost posivtive thats the way im going.
Hello.
soundcontrol 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2009 at 2:00 AM / IP Logged  

I hope they sound as good as they look. Hadn't had a chance to try or hear any of the RE's yet.

Post an update after you break them in and let us know how they sound.

Just do something
panerailover 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2009 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
I would stick to JL audio 12's
01 Lexus GS430 SOLD.. 04 BMW 545i Sport, NAV Logic7
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic