the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

amplifier repair shops in the northeast?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nagsr95 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2009 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  

My PPI PCX 2125 (2002) has an issue. Does anyone know of a good repair shop in the northeast I could take it to? I'd prefer to take it a shop in person for obvious reasons (I'm in N.H.), but if I have to ship then I'll ship.

The amp seems to get warm quickly, even when I'm not pushing it hard. The internal fan will come on. It's never gotten so warm you can't press and hold your hand to it, it just gets warm to a point and that's it, but like I said, warm enough to turn it's fan on.

Also there will randomly be a static sound coming from the sub, not a steady constant sound, it's erratic and broken up, and not very loud. It comes and goes very randomly, not seeming to be brought on or go away by the amp temp or volume level. It will happen more often than not when I turn the system on for the first time of the day.

It's running a JL 12W6v2, and I think it's slowly been damaging it. I'm getting a little suspension noise from it when it's playing upper bass tones, but still plays well overall. I have done some troubleshooting and have ruled out the problem being the sub, the head unit and RCA cord. I hooked up a JL 10W0 to the 2125 and it played static too, I hooked up a different amp to the 12W6 and there were no static instances.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 19, 2009 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
With the amp turned on, but with no volume at all, leave the amp on for 10 minutes, does it get hot or just barely warm?
Is the speaker a single or dual voice coil? What impedance is(are) the coil(s)?
nagsr95 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2009 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  

I haven't done that first test you list, and I have my system torn apart at the moment while I do some upgrades, so I won't be able to for at least a few days. But the sub is a DVC 4 ohms per coil sub. I have it wired in series so the amp sees an 8 ohm load, then the amp is bridged, so it plays at 4 ohms, but, the sub is currently reading at 6.5 ohms as bridged in series, that's the reading I'm getting at the terminal cup on the box and at the sub itself when I take a second reading right at the sub terminal. Why would that happen?

This PCX2125 isn't made to play below 4 ohms when bridged, would a 3.25 ohm load when bridged cause a problem besides the amp getting warm early? This amp's Protection circuitry reduces volume when it sees a problem of excessive heat, improper impedance or a short circuit. The Protection system doesn't cut off the sound completely (according to the owners manual, it never mentions it), it simply drops the volume, aka wattage I presume. I've never noticed a drop in volume throughout this issue of the static sound.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 20, 2009 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  
Impedance is the opposition of current in an AC circuit. Your meter measures resistance, which is the opposition of current in a DC circuit. It is normal for the resistance to be a bit below the impedance of the woofer. I was just making sure you did not have the amp running at 2 ohm mono. If you are eager to perform the test I mentioned, simply connect power ground and remote to the amp. No RCA and no speaker. Leave it on for 10 minutes and notice the temp.
toomtoomvroom 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2009 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
Hey NAGSR if you find a shop please let me know. I have a PPI PCX2125 that's having problems too.
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2009 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
http://www.amprepaircenter.com/...I have never used them...just came across it yesterday...Out of NE Ohio...Basic prices on website...?
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic