icon

2 different alarm sirens

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
01trublugt 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2009 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  

I was wondering if anyone has tried this or knows if it it even possible.

Is there a way to use two different sirens on a car alarm. One for the arm/disarm chirp, and 1 for the acctual alarm siren when the system is triggered.

I can not stand the normal arm/disarm chirp of most alarms I would like to use something like the BMW or Toyota/Lexus chirp. I know what type of piezo I need for the BMW type chirp but the system would still need another siren for when the system is triggered.

I waas thinking that since you can turn off the arm/disarm chirp on most alarms I could turn that off and run the BMW sounding piezo inline with the parking light flash that way it would beep once when arming and twice when dis-arming. THe problem comes in when the system is triggered. SInce the flasers would be flashing the piezo would be beeping along with the siren.

Is there a way to run a relay to the piezo that would shut it off when the alarm is triggered??

Is the siren output on an alarm constant +12V?

Would this make sense.

Parking light output from alarm to pin 30, Output to piezo on pin 87a this way when the alarm sends the pulse to flash the piezo will beep.

tap the +12V from the siren to pin 85. So since the input from the flasher would be going from 30 to 87 it would just dead end since the piezo would be on 87a and no longer getting any power. Once the siren is shut off the relay should switch back to letting the piezo at 87a get power.

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2009 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  

that would work, but when you turn on your parking lights whilst driving, the siren would come on. using the same guide you have for the relay, do it like this,

pin 30- feed from parking lights,

pin 85- ground

pin 87a- piezo siren

pin 86-  siren and permanent acc or ignition feed dioded inputs, bands facing towards relay.

this way the relay would energize once the vehicle is running (or acc or ignition is on) causing the siren to not come on when using your lights while driving. and it would also energize when the alarm triggers, causing the piezo not to blare wit the alarm's siren, and you would have your arm disarm chirps with the parking lights. The only fault in this setup would be that if the vehicle were switched off, and you had to turn your parking lights on, the siren would also come on.

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
01trublugt 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2009 at 7:51 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the help t&t.

Trying not to over complicate things and trying to keep the relay from being energized alot, would it be possible to diode isolate the wire coming from the parking lights back to the alarm?

for example if I took the parking light output from the alarm, tapped the wire 6" from the brain and ran a wire to the relay for the piezo. Then about 2" further from the brain than that put a diode inline. That should allow the current to go to the flashers in order for them to blink on arm/disarm/alarm yet not allow the current from the flashers to come back to the wire for the piezo relay when using the turn signals/hazards under normal conditions. This should also solve the problem of using the hazards while the ignition is off.

The above is just me thinking, speaking from no experience so would it work like that???

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2009 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  

no, this won't work because either way, the normally closed poles on the relay need current from the flasher in order for the siren to chirp with your arm/disarm chirps, diodes won't help here, the easiest setup would be the one above i mentioned earlier. and don't worry about the relay being "enegized alot", it will only energize when the alarm triggers or the ignition is turned on.

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic