icon

possibly a remote starter problem?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
93_civic 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2009 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  

Hi, i had car toys install a remote starter for me. they installed a hood pin i think is what its called, they said the car wont start if the hoods opened so noone could steal my car. anyways, i took it to jiffy lube to get the oil changed. and as i went to leave the car wouldnt start, and hasnt ran since. so my question is do you think they possibly knocked a wire loose on the hood pin, and now it thinks my hoods always open, and thats whats causing my car not to start? i dont know anything about remote starters but almost everything i've tryed to test to see why its not getting spark has passed. and i have no idea where else to look. and i cant get it back to car toys since it doesnt run. if this sounds like it could be the hood pin, is there a way i can disarm it so it doesnt work just to see if it'll start without it connected???

thanks

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 09, 2009 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
Hoodpin should only be there to prevent the remote start from turning on with the hood open (so you can't get hurt by hitting the remote start while fixing the engine), and also to trigger the alarm if a thief opens the hood while the alarm is armed.
The hoodpin should in no way prevent the car from starting with the key.
And anyway, what do you mean by "doesn't start?" Does the car have battery power? Do the accessories (heater, radio, wipers) work when you turn the key on? Does the car's starter crank when you move the key to the Start position?
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2009 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  

...What kind of system...car...and your sure it is not a r/s alarm combo...Is there a siren installed.As Chris said,it should not stop key from working. (sorry had to edit post b/c for some reason i missed about car starting w/ key)

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
93_civic 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2009 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
its a Valet remote starter and theres no alarm on it. its on a 93 civic 4 door. and no theres no siren. my battery is fully charged. the wipers, radio, and heater all work when the key is on. everything seems to be working fine, im just not getting any spark! my check engine light doesnt stay on so i cant pull the trouble shoot codes from the ECU.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2009 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
well, i'm no expert at troubleshooting non alarm problems but here's a thought, using a meter check at the point where the starter wire plugs into the starter for voltage while cranking, once you hav verified you have voltage then you know it's another issue entirely, probably the starter has to be replaced or serviced. if you have no voltage well then time to troubleshoot.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic