icon

8 sub choice

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
97gss 
Copper - Posts: 235
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2009 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
I'm looking for an 8" sub to replace the factory one in my 04 Explorer and wanted to get some recommendations.  Currently, I'm looking at the Kicker 07CVR82, 09S82C, and the Tang Band W8-740P, or maybe the W8-1747.  The sub will stay in the factory enclosure and run off the factory amp for maybe the next month or so.  After that, I'll put an aftermarket amp on it.  Not looking to shake the streets(obviously), but I really want to improve on what's there and not take up any space.
spmpdr 
Copper - Posts: 456
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2009 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  
go with the tang band, very nice speaker Ive had the 6.5 subs and they were very nice , I also have the 3" full range and they are super clean sounding.I imagine the 8" would be no different. DYohn would be the person to talk to about it hes on this site
-A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-
97gss 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2009 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
I'm leaning towards it.  I haven't personally heard one though.  The shop I used to work for years ago sold Kicker so I have a good idea of how they sound.  I may check out JBL as well if a local dealer has one I can listen to.
spmpdr 
Copper - Posts: 456
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2009 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
i have 2 words for you TANG BAND you wont regret it
-A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-
97gss 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 5:19 AM / IP Logged  
Tang Band it is.  Which 8" shlould I use?  The 740P($65) or the 1747($101)?  I plan on using the Alpine PDX-5 to run everything.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 6:14 AM / IP Logged  
Buy the amp now, wait on the woofer. If you supply that factory sub with some decent power, You would be very surprised.  Actually you will be very impressed.  The factory sub amp is the weak link in that setup.  They really did a good job on the box/woofer setup.  If you do change the woofer, it will not sound near as good as it does now, (Unless the woofer is blown).   
lotaimpalass 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
how about a RL-i8 just an option
97gss 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
Buy the amp now, wait on the woofer. If you supply that factory sub with some decent power, You would be very surprised.  Actually you will be very impressed.  The factory sub amp is the weak link in that setup.  They really did a good job on the box/woofer setup.  If you do change the woofer, it will not sound near as good as it does now, (Unless the woofer is blown).   

Good point.  I took the sub out earlier in the week to see what it looked like and it appeared to be pretty decent.  I'll try that out first, or maybe run a wire from a sub amp in 1 of my other cars to it to see how it sounds.  Thanks for the input.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
I do not know about the driver in the Explorer, but the amps and enclosures are all built by the same people. In the F-150 the driver is a dual voice coil driver. I am pretty sure it was a dual 4 ohm driver. We hooked it up to an old Punch 150 running it at 2 ohm mono, and it pounded. Played for a couple years with no problems. He removed the amp and sold the truck. Oh and just to let you know how tough that woofer was, it was a Flooded Katrina vehicle. The cone of the woofer is paper, it was under water for at least a few days.
97gss 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2009 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  

I took a look at that when I had it out.  It's dvc, 1.2 ohm per coil.  45watts each.  It was written on the sub and I checked it with a meter also.  I'll wire them in series and see how it sounds on another amp when I get some free time tomorrow.  On another note, does anyone know if the rear speakers in this thing play full range?  I've replaced the factory speakers and the fronts have better high end than the rears.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic