the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

can speakers get damaged in a car wreck?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
daboss593 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2009 at 6:55 AM / IP Logged  
hi guys, havnt been on here in a long while my proir posts were about my 1984 caddy elderado. well i was prob 2 days away from getting it ready and was rear ended. the rear end was around 35-40 mph. while i was at a dead stop at a stop light. so after months or rehab and my car was written off i started to remove all my stuff. my door comp,speakers  head unit etc i know is fine. my sub box was in the trunk. wasnt hooked up etc was in there and braced etc so it wouldnt move. oddly enough the box had no damage etc. ??????????/ of the day is poss damage to the speakers? as in motor-coils etc? they are a pair of 1252w infinites. and if so what are the tell tale signs of damage? well besides the normal blown speaker sounds etc. thanx these forums are great. p.s. and just to wiz off all my freinds who hated my 1984 eldo i already bought an 1983 and started the sickness over again lol.can speakers get damaged in a car wreck? - Last Post -- posted image.
OWWWWWWWWWWW you said you discharged the cap!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2009 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
Look for physical alingment between the marnet assembly and the frame.  If it looks aligned, check each voice coil resistance with a meter.  If it reads 3-6 ohms, connect it to an amplifier and test it.  If it sounds OK it probably is.
Support the12volt.com
hotmilk400 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2009 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  
it should be perfect unless it was physicaly damaged in the crash.  like DYohn said, check ohms first, as long as there is a resistance between 1 - 16 , depending on what it should be stock, the spearker should work.  also, if you push on the top of the speaker and it bounes alright, it is fine.  if it scraps, it is wrecked.  if the ohms check out to be okay, you can test it with any radio just to make sure it works.  also, you can touch a 9 volt battery on the terminals really quickly to make sure it bounes up and down, but if you have a tester, it will tell you the same thing.  

daboss593 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2009 at 2:02 AM / IP Logged  
will do thanx for the info
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2009 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
not likely unless the basket was warped somehow...in that case, the car would likely have been totaled.
It would not surprise me with a hit like that, but they are probably fine.
My father lost the factory CD player in his truck from a hit like that. The AM/FM worked fine, but it never played any CDs again.
By nature, these types of drivers are designed to withstand the vibrations of an automobile, so it would likely require actual physical damage from a accident to destroy them.
daboss593 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2009 at 1:48 AM / IP Logged  
no damage and it was odd only a few more inches and smush lol. i did an ohm test 9v batt test and took them out and looked them over they seem fine. thanx for all the info guys

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic