the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

shorting a dvc sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thatfloorguy 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2009 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  

I have found the best possible sound doesn't neccesarily mean the loudest I used the information found here to construct a smaller enclosure tuned differently turned down the gain and matched frequency outputs and I have much better sound than before.I can turn up the HU to a much higher volume without any audible distortion tooshorting a dvc sub - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

pioneer deh4900

zx350.4 cheap pioneer speakers/tweets

zx750.1  L715 wired to 2 ohm

4.75 ft3^ tund to 40 hz

spmpdr 
Copper - Posts: 456
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2009 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
When I first got these 4ohm dvc subs I wired them in series /parallel.There is a big difference in sound quality to me. Im not just talking about loud,the bass if tighter and sounds better.My amp is recommend to have a 2ohm load(Memphis mcd500.1 monoblock).i too have read through countless pages on this forum and tuned my gains,and built a box all with help from everyone on this site. My system sounds better than it ever has .My subs sound better to me wired 4ohm svc with a 2ohm load,I just read about shorting dvc subs with a resistor and started digging up info on them. thanks for the 4ohm advice but I can tell a drastic change in sound (more than 3dbs).
-A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-
thatfloorguy 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2009 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
I don't know much abt shorting a vc or using only 1 vc, there is a ongoing argument on that but it seems to me that using half the coils limits you to half the rms the sub will take. I just got a sub that I can wire to present a 2 ohm load to the amp. I Haven't tried a different ohm load but I know the amp's output is higher ar far as rms at the lower ohm load. My enclosure made the most difference tho once I was informed as how to adjust the settings and set the gains. I just need some real compononts and HU nowshorting a dvc sub - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
spmpdr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2009 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
What you are saying is true.Using only 1 vc onl lets you use half the power of the subs,My amp can only produce half the power anyway, that is why I wired them this way.I just wanted to know about shrting the unused coil .Dyohn provided the answer.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2009 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
The comments above about power handling are somewhat incorrect.  Please refer to this discussion:  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~74640~PN~1
Support the12volt.com
yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2009 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
yimke wrote:
Do the connections proper, but just buy a better amp. Get a 2 ch. and connect each sub to each channel. Usually that is the most cost effective way.
He doesn't have to BUY anything... And the way I suggested IS proper.
I misread and thought he did not have an amp yet. Like you said series parallel is the best way to do this, and I would not short a voice coil. And yes your way is proper, I was calling shorting a voice coil proper.
If you only connect 1 voice coil per sub it will bring it to 2 ohms. I highly would not recommend this though, just do series-parallel and 4 ohms should be fine.
8mpg 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2009 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
spmpdr wrote:
I run 2 12" 4ohm dvc subs as if they were svc 4om to give them a 2ohm load at the amp.I tried to find out how to use a potentiometer to adjust the q's of them but I cant find any how to. I spoke with a tech at parts express and he recommended that I just short each unused coil .Is this safe? Will I gain anything by doing so? He said that it should make the subs louder. thanks
WHY, WHY, WHY, do people think they have to load every amplifier to it's "maximum"?!?!?! Good GOD, people!
So, why don't you just run the individual woofer coils in series, then parallel the two woofers? You will provide the amplifier with a 4-ohm load, and lose less than 3dB in total output. Are you competing? You won't miss it, I GUARANTEE it, if you are not competing. The amp runs cooler, lower distortion and better damping... All good things! You'll also have more headroom, you'll have better "overpowering" buffer on the woofers, you'll be using all the copper in the voice coils that you paid for... Load the thing at 4 ohms and be happy.
Hate to steal the thread...but how can I wire a single DVC 4ohm woofer at 4 ohms? As far as I know, I can only choose 2 or 8. What is the db difference between 2 and 8ohm?
spmpdr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2009 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
wire only one coil for a 4ohm load just leave the other coil open or short it with a piece of speaker wire
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2009 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
8mpg wrote:
haemphyst wrote:
spmpdr wrote:
I run 2 12" 4ohm dvc subs as if they were svc 4om to give them a 2ohm load at the amp.I tried to find out how to use a potentiometer to adjust the q's of them but I cant find any how to. I spoke with a tech at parts express and he recommended that I just short each unused coil .Is this safe? Will I gain anything by doing so? He said that it should make the subs louder. thanks
WHY, WHY, WHY, do people think they have to load every amplifier to it's "maximum"?!?!?! Good GOD, people!
So, why don't you just run the individual woofer coils in series, then parallel the two woofers? You will provide the amplifier with a 4-ohm load, and lose less than 3dB in total output. Are you competing? You won't miss it, I GUARANTEE it, if you are not competing. The amp runs cooler, lower distortion and better damping... All good things! You'll also have more headroom, you'll have better "overpowering" buffer on the woofers, you'll be using all the copper in the voice coils that you paid for... Load the thing at 4 ohms and be happy.
Hate to steal the thread...but how can I wire a single DVC 4ohm woofer at 4 ohms? As far as I know, I can only choose 2 or 8. What is the db difference between 2 and 8ohm?
1: The dB difference at 4 ohms will be identical to 8 ohms.
2: The difference will be less than 3dB, between 2- and 4- ohms
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic