icon

hiring new installers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wrenches 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2009 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
looking for ideas in what to look for in potential candidates for completely fresh installers-to-be.  Seems to be everytime I hire somebody they end up being less than stellar.
Think. It's not illegal yet.
joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2009 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
Ask them if they have a 6x9 hole saw.  If they say that they do, then tell them thanks, but no thanks!!  Try by narrowing down if they're mechanically talented or atleast have a grasp on mechanics and electronics.  How to read voltage or if they can read some sort of wiring diagram?  I know it's hard to judge how they'll fair when it comes to actually doing install work because they're "new" installers, but if you can get them to do something on your display wall....i.e.---mount an amp, display some speakers or wire up a deck, that should help you quite a bit in determining if they've got upside. 
...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2009 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  
before i got hired at a new shop they asked me to install an alarm/remote start on a new dodge charger before they would hire me. but, i guess that is a little ridiculous to do to a new installer. when i first started out, i'll be honest, i didn't know half of the stiff that i thought i knew. i had done about 2 amp installs, bass amps none the less, and maybe 4 radio installs before i started professionally.
what really makes good installers out of raw candidates is constant guidance and training, and the desire to want to work in this field. it cant just be another job to them. also for the first few months you should watch them and give them tips, but not necessarily dictate how they should install because everyone has their own style and as long as it isnt wrong them it is ok. if you want them to do things a certain way then you should also tell them why it has to be done that way.
as far as profiling good installers, the number one thing to look for is attention to detail and common sense.
yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2009 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
Why are they less than stellar?
If you mean by their personality is not outgoing, or they could care less, then that in my IMO is what sets good installers from mediocre ones.
I think the biggest thing is eagerness to learn. If they are excited about what they do and why they do it then eventually in time they will become a great installer.
I personally was a very shy person at first when I started. I just had absolutely 0 personal skills. But my managers could see I would go on and on about stuff if someone technical came and talked to me. I had memorized speaker sizes for cars, dash kits, harnesses, and had most of the premium system bypasses in concept. That's when they moved me to installer.
They knew I had talent and could see it, and eventually over a period of about 1/2 a year I had developed personal skills with customers, and many of them I talk to them on a first name basis.
While on the other hand I have seen many talented installers, flop and fail when given a push. You can usually pick these people out by seeing what they do on their downtime. Usually a good candidate will try to set up a display, sort out brochures, and barely talk with others. Worse candidates will mope around, twiddle their thumbs, and often talk in a group constantly.
So really it is all about attitude, motivation, and eagerness to learn.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic