icon

'91 nissan maxima cruise control

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
*chit* 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2009 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
the cruise control in my maxima works on occasion but only for brief periods of time before it cancels itself out.  I'm wondering if this is an issue with these cars and possibly a common place to start checking for the fault.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 20, 2009 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  

When you drive, do you rest your foot on the brake pedal?   I know you are probably thinking, no way would I do that.  Notice next time you drive the car.  If it is a standard transmission, do you ride with your foot on the clutch pedal?  Notice next time you drive.

Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
*chit* 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2009 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
I have considered those options too, the brake pedal switch and also the hand brake switch, the car is an auto so rule out the clutch switch.  i try to reposition the brake pedal as well as the hand brake while driving to see if anything changes but never has.  Unless one of these has an internal fault.  The process of elimination begins...
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 21, 2009 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
The hand brake should light an idiot light on the dash when it is engaged.  If the light works, and it is not on, that switch is probably OK.  If the foot brake switch is engaging, it will turn your brake lights on.  At night, back up to a store front with a lot of glass, gently move your brake pedal while watching in your mirrors, if the light comes on when you barely touch the pedal, it may need adjusting.  If you have to move it a good bit to light the lamps, we can rule that one out too.
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
*chit* 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2009 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
Excellent ideas, thanks.  The hand brake idiot light works but never flickers while driving and the brake pedal switch seems to operate properly even while tapping it or moving it from side to side. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic