the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

ports

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 30, 2009 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  

"hmmm...thinking is always good"

"i always thought that having a vented enclosure was better for the sub...like less work on it?"

Thinking is NOT always good, then, is it?   ports - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
dp85iroc 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2009 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
ahhhh indeed sir that is why you guys are the experts and we are just the rookies asking the questions
hmmm...thinking is always good...but question are better
xchrisx 
Copper - Posts: 197
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2009 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
How would I make the L type port??? and also whats an advantage to it?
bp
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2009 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  

xchrisx wrote:
How would I make the L type port??? and also whats an advantage to it?

An L-shaped port is simply a slot port that follows the inside walls of the enclosure in an "L" shape.  The advantage is it allows a longer port than just running straight into the enclosure (if you need that for your desired tuning.)

Something like this:

ports - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
xchrisx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2009 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
thanks. also, how would i figure out the measurements to make one? like how they have a recommended port size, how would i convert it into the L Port for proper tuning?
bp
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2009 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
There is nothing different in these from the way any other slot port is calculated.  You simply make it the size and length you need, measuring the length from the center of the opening along the path the port takes to the center of the exit.  It can have 50 bends in it if that's what's required to get the length you need.
Support the12volt.com
xchrisx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2009 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks. So I heard someone saying the need 28in. of port, and they had a port that was like this. How would I get 28in. of port? Whats the math to figure that out?
bp
DYohn 
Posted: December 11, 2009 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  
There is no math.  You measure from the front to the back along the center of the port and when it gets to 28in you are done.
Support the12volt.com
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2009 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
dp85iroc wrote:
yes but they are only 4" long and to get to a lower fequency i thought maybe having 2 at 4" would be like having one 8" one....ya kno
Adding port area will actually raise your tune. Not lower it. If you need to make a port LONGER, which lowers your tune and dont have the depth for full length you need. You can do whats called folding it. put a 90 deg bend and extend the port to make it longer. This can be done both for round and slot ports.
LOL guess i should have looked at the next page ports - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. looks like it has already been covered.
ports - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic