fm antenna location

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeffwhiteman 
Copper - Posts: 124
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2009 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  
Does anyone know where I can find the antenna connection in a 05 Volvo
S40. I want to add a FM direct for a sirius radio. I checked all the usual locations unsuccessfully. If not, any Aux. suggestions?
Thanks
Jeff
yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2009 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
Best Buy should have them/any audio shop. I personally have 5 on hand just in case. Otherwise order them online.
jeffwhiteman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2009 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
sorry I guess I wasnt clear. I was looking for the actual physical location in the car. It has a funky flat head unit but the antenna connection is elsewhere. I tried looking around various kick panels and behind the glove box etc. for the coupler. No luck. Any idea?
jimi77 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2009 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  

jeffwhiteman wrote:
sorry I guess I wasnt clear. I was looking for the actual physical location in the car. It has a funky flat head unit but the antenna connection is elsewhere. I tried looking around various kick panels and behind the glove box etc. for the coupler. No luck. Any idea?

Try a volvo forum...

You talking to me???
P9 Combo
ID CD1-Pros
Focal Utopia Midbass
10" Brahma
Clarion APX amps
jeffwhiteman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2009 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the tip jimi77. I took your advice and found a volvo forum. I havent verified this yet but it looks like good info. The following was copied from the forum.
The Volvo AFM (AM/FM Module) is located behind the back seat. In order to access it, fold the rear seat down. This gives you access to remove the rear cover.
With that removed, you can see the AFM. There is a cable coming out of the right side, closest to the rear of the car. This has two MCX style connectors that connect to the antenna.
What I did, was buy two adapters. Circuit City sells them as something like "VW/BMW/European Car Antenna Adapter." You need two different cables - one male motorola to female MCX, and one female motorola to male MCX. You will also need an FM Modulator.
Those two cables come with plastic snap on housings that don't fit with the AFM. You will have to cut those housings off, being careful not to damage the cable or connector.
jimi77 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2009 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
Good Luck. 
You talking to me???
P9 Combo
ID CD1-Pros
Focal Utopia Midbass
10" Brahma
Clarion APX amps
yimke 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2009 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
...... You realize you could have saved yourself a headache an just buy the volvo antenna adapters for yor FM direct and just went behind the stereo?
jeffwhiteman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2009 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
That was the problem. There is no antenna connection behind the "stereo". The RF is fed into the AFM (AM/FM Module) located behind the rear seat. apparently this is where the demodulation is done. The "stereo" up front is simply a controller. No RF!
yimke 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2009 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
hmmm never seen that in a volvo before. A couple Mercs, and BMW's but no volvo.
paidnfull 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2009 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  
Anything after about 04 is set up that way.  I worked on an 06 xc90 yesterday and the only lines goin into the antenna were fiberoptic and 12v.  We just used the xm sureconnect and put it right on top of the antenna.  Works as good as any wireless transmitter can work.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic