the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

1996 ford aspire, speaker which wire is +?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bonobo 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2009 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
Hi,
I'm new to this forum, got a reference from a friend for this site as "The Site" to go to and ask...
Have a simple question: is there any way how to tell which of the two wires going to a speaker is + and which one is - ? I'm installing a new audio deck and front door speakers and when I opened the door and pulled the old speakers out, the wire colors did not match the ones coming out of the instrument panel into the audio deck harness. The ones in the harness are clearly marked L or R front speaker and minus or plus, but what comes out the door is different colors.
I looked up the wiring diagram for my car (1996 ford Aspire), but that didn't help.
Any suggestions? - all appreciated, thanks!
flobee4 
Silver - Posts: 585
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2009 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
     LF Speaker (+)          BROWN / BLACK          
     LF Speaker (-)          GREEN/ RED          
     RF Speaker (+)          GREEN/ ORANGE          
     RF Speaker (-)          BLUE/ORANGE          
     LR Speaker (+)          BLUE          
     LR Speaker (-)          YELLOW          
     RR Speaker (+)          PINK/BLUE          
     RR Speaker (-)          BROWN / RED          

This is what I found listed for a 97.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 12, 2009 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
When you remove the OEM speaker, cut the wire an inch or so away from the speaker.  With the speaker in hand, and the 1 inch of wire coming off of it, strip both wires back a little to expose the wires.  Now with a 9 volt battery, touch and hold one wire to one terminal of the battery.  Now briefly touch the other wire to the other terminal of the battery.  This will make the cone of the speaker move either towards the magnet or away from the magnet.  If it moves away from the magnet, you have the battery's positive terminal connected to the speaker's positive wire.  If it moves the other way, the battery's positive is connected to the speaker's negative.  Notice the colors and connect the Aftermarket speakers accordingly.
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
vibrationcustum 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2009 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
nice job I am a idiot I was just about to state that. Called a speaker popper.
Can't be loud then don't have it.
(power acoustik system)
Head unit- TID-896 7" TOUCHSCREEN
ovn1-5500d 09 and another one coming soon
4-12" mofos 12ft3 box to 40hz (wall)
2 batterys, 1 power
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2009 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
... and then there is also the fact that it really doesn't matter as long as the polarity is consistent between all the speakers in a system.  1996 ford aspire, speaker which wire is +? - Last Post -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
bonobo 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2009 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
wow, thanks! That speaker popper trick is VERY cool (beside being very useful) 1996 ford aspire, speaker which wire is +? - Last Post -- posted image.
Interestingly, the wire colors flobee4 listed match what's in my car, except the LR(+) is blue/green and RR(+) is blue/black. Go figure.
Thanx again to all ...
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2009 at 6:03 AM / IP Logged  
Has anyone ever seen a speaker that has the negative on the right hand side. Viewing speaker from rear, with the terminal at the 6:00 position. I have always noted that + is on the right hand side.
This is what I do for FUN!
bonobo 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2009 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
... back with one more question:
I traced the 2 speaker wires coming out of the door to the stereo harness and found out, that the the wires labeled "front LEFT +" and "front LEFT -" coming from the old unit connected through the harness to + and - wires which ended in the passenger side door (= RIGHT door, correct?). Is that a problem? I haven't had time to put the speakers in yet, so I can still correct it if it matters. I guess I would connect what comes out of the radio and says "right" to the wires which say "left" in the car harness (since they end up in the right side door). Can someone doublecheck my thinking?
Also, DYohn, can you enlighten me on this? :
DYohn wrote:
... and then there is also the fact that it really doesn't matter as long as the polarity is consistent between all the speakers in a system.  1996 ford aspire, speaker which wire is +? - Last Post -- posted image.
...being a rookie, I can afford to ask without losing face, right? 1996 ford aspire, speaker which wire is +? - Last Post -- posted image.
Thanks!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 18, 2009 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
You really do want the left signal getting to the left speaker.  It is crucial for the stereo separation.  It has been a while since I saw a miswired harness but they are out there.
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic