icon

can you hit 150db with this setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2009 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  
I was talking to this guy who claims he hits 150db and did it at a competition. The thing is he is running two Type-R 12" subwoofers. Not only is he running Type-Rs but he is running them in a sealed enclosure. The Type-Rs are each getting 500w RMS (two MRP-500 amps I believe). The only other thing I know is that it is in a hatchback.
So I just wanted to make this topic to discuss the probability of this. You know to further the discussion we have had...can you hit 150db with this setup - Last Post -- posted image.
wolfox 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2009 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  
I use as single MRP-M500 on a Type-R 12" DVC-4 Ohm/coil wired to 2 Ohms.
I used three different computer modeling software packages before building my enclosure (which is 90% of your install and SQ/SPL when done) and definitely nowhere within throwing distance of a record breaking rig. At best at 500 watts/driver my software (with cabin gains) fortold a peak at 123dB +/- 5, give or take. *Actual testing* with a calibrated mic @ 1 meter at full, non-distorted output with tones right in the sweet spot for my tuning and cabin gains delivered 120 dB (The ported enclosure is tuned low at 34 Hz to be more melodic than just a thump box full of SPL build, mind you)at resonant peak.
Is it possible to do? Probably, but my ears like *music* not noise. I have my doubts that a Type-R pushed with a V-power MRP-M500 singly will get that hard and high without sounding a little...indistinct.
Now I did get the gut wrenching experience of sitting in a Type-R and Alpine monoblock fired Volkswagen Beetle that hit 150 dB without breaking a sweat - for 30 seconds.
.....but it was three 15" Type-R's fed a total of 3 KW off as rack of MRP-M1000's and it could only do it fully charged on two batteries and the engine racing to push the current needed to do so. ;D
Life is too short to build slow computers or weak audio!
wolfox 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2009 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  
Correction - I just spoke to my brother that was at the competition and that Beetle only did 146 at the moment of test with 3, 15" DVC 4's and triple MRP-M1000's. It too had musically tuned, ported, fiberglass enclosures. If they tuned it higher, built it for just 50 Hz drags and got the team to push the window glass and body panels in...maybe they would have hit that magical 150 dB limit.
Not caslling you or your buddy out - I am just suspicious. :D
Life is too short to build slow computers or weak audio!
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2009 at 2:25 AM / IP Logged  
Well I was calling the guy out which is why I wanted some additional opinions to add to our discussion.
I'm sure you could hit 150db with Type-Rs but NOT with two getting 500w RMS each and only using a SEALED enclosure. The sealed enclosure is the main thing. Maybe with a 6th order bandpass you could get close BUT not in a sealed enclosure.
Yes, when I modeled it up I got around 120-123db from the enclosure designing software. That is the theorectical output from the enclosure. Sure you have cabin gain from the enviroment but it is not THAT huge of an increase.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2009 at 7:10 AM / IP Logged  
i dont see it in a sealed enclosure, unless this hatchback is a CRX   then its possible.   
Otherwise no.
Ported enclosure tuned for the vehicle to obtain max spl only...no musical capabilities ect, on that power would be capable.
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2009 at 7:12 AM / IP Logged  
also, every major sanctioning body for competition posts thier results on the web.    If you give me a name of this guy, with the location he was at and mabe what org I can track it down for ya
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2009 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  
or he made the box waaay too small and got that 150 at a really high hz range.  i wont lie, it is possible to hit 150 with 2 12's but many factors need to align just the right way to do it.  i definitely smell a hint of BS with his claim but just because you smell it doesn't mean you stepped in itcan you hit 150db with this setup - Last Post -- posted image.
spmpdr 
Copper - Posts: 456
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2009 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  
Maybe he used the patented ROXBOX we heard about a few weeks ago!!!lol
-A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-
cooter.brown 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2009 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  
Yall think you could hit it with 4 Image Dynamics 12" with a Kenwood 9104D in an 08 Wrangler

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic