icon

reasons not to use existing grommet?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
evoixpilot 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2009 at 3:10 AM / IP Logged  
Have an audio installer shop that will not use existing grommet for the power wire and insist on creating their own and placing a grommet. They said that sticking a wire through an existing one with bunch wire can possibly cause damage to them and the cars' eletrical system. Are they feeding me a load of crap??
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 06, 2009 at 5:05 AM / IP Logged  
i have seen cases where installers have penetrated insulation on multiple wires when going through an existing grommet.  I have actually seen a car try to start.  However, a confident and competent installer will know how to penetrate the grommet without damaging the harness.  If they do not want to do it, DO NOT MAKE THEM.  They will be dying to say I told you so.  I personally think it is much safer to use an existing grommet.  I have seen more problems with drilling holes in firewalls.  If you insist on using this shop, You could penetrate the grommet yourself and get the wire through yourself.
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2009 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
I 2nd that...How much more are they charging you...?
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
evoixpilot 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2009 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
tommy... wrote:
I 2nd that...How much more are they charging you...?
They're not charging me extra. Its their standard procedure for all installs because something happened two years ago where their insurance pay a lot of money for damages. They will not install it any other way. These guy do decent job with good prices (not the cheapest). I was just wandering if I should just find another shop as i hate doing "permenant" mods to a brand new car (such as drilling holes), but if its a safer way, then so be it.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 06, 2009 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
i I personally think it is much safer to use an existing grommet.  I have seen more problems with drilling holes in firewalls.  .
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2009 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah...Well if your planning on keeping the car for awhile...There might be some pre-mature rusting...Normally when we do drill a hole...We just make sure it is weather/water proofed...Some tar,silicone,etc...I cant say i recall  seeing one rusted...And there has been repeat customers over the years...I Have seen the hole rusted in other vehicles that wasnt treated...! Also saw a guy cut a bunch of wires while going through a grommet...So...Worst case...you said they have insurance right...?reasons not to use existing grommet? - Last Post -- posted image.

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
evoixpilot 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2009 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
tommy... wrote:

Yeah...Well if your planning on keeping the car for awhile...There might be some pre-mature rusting...Normally when we do drill a hole...We just make sure it is weather/water proofed...Some tar,silicone,etc...I cant say i recall  seeing one rusted...And there has been repeat customers over the years...I Have seen the hole rusted in other vehicles that wasnt treated...! Also saw a guy cut a bunch of wires while going through a grommet...So...Worst case...you said they have insurance right...?reasons not to use existing grommet? - Last Post -- posted image.

Yes, they have insurance...according to them lol. So, I guess just drilling a hole and sticking the grommet around the edges don't really protect it from rust?
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2009 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
Either method is fine if done properly. If a hole is driled we grommet the firewall with marine style grommet that seals to the wire and bolts through the firewall. Then we seal around it with 3m strip caulk. Never had an issue with this method and we install in an area that sees alot of weather.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2009 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
You could ask them if they paint the hole, always did that in the old days when installing antennae.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic