icon

best spl/daily driver setup?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
armymp90099 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2009 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
ok guys its crunch time for me and i need help...ive searched and cant find an answer anywhere. what is the best spl/daily driver setup for a trunk car? (ford taurus) where to position the drivers? (up, back, forward) port? what tuning frequency? the back seats will be folded down most of the time but i do need to put them up on occasion so i cant eliminate my back seat. i am going to get 1 or 2 AQ HDC3 15's. trunk space is kinda limited because its hard to fit a box through the trunk opening...      thanks for your input guys.
-ETS-
Escape The Scilence
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2009 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
armymp90099 wrote:
what is the best spl/daily driver setup for a trunk car? (ford taurus) [...] i am going to get 1 or 2 AQ HDC3 15's
SPL in trunks is more difficult because of the annoying rattles. If you can successfully take care of that, then most name brand woofers should do you good. By your post u already decided on the woofers, so now it comes down to the enclosure. Make sure its made well, and built to specs.
Happy Boomin.
armymp90099 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2009 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
yeah i was going to build it off the t/s paras and i just didnt know how to fire the port weather it be into the cab or towards the back of the trunk and the fs of the sub is 38hz so im not sure what to tune the box to because i have heard not to go below the fs of the sub...is that correct?
-ETS-
Escape The Scilence
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2009 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
The Fs of the box means that you'll gain a few db's at that frequency. Meaning that its usually set to taste... if its SQ you are after then you're going to have to be able to set that Fs of the box in the car! Its a long process...
As far as the built of the enclosure itself:
Get the parameters of the woofer, and just run it in the winISD program and get the measurements of the maximum size box you'll tolerate on the car.
From my experience, if the front of the speaker and the port opening facing the same direction... AKA front firing into the cabin, you'll get lower frequency response. If firing backwards in to the trunk, you'll get slightly higher Fs in the cabin. SPL is higher when firing into the cabin.
Hope this info helps
armymp90099 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2009 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
ok thanks man for your advice I have desingned 2 box ideas and which one should I go with? The side port or the bottom port?
-ETS-
Escape The Scilence
armymp90099 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2009 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
...my pics didnt upload...lol im a newb.
-ETS-
Escape The Scilence
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 04, 2009 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  
icearrow6 wrote:
The Fs of the box means that you'll gain a few db's at that frequency. Meaning that its usually set to taste... if its SQ you are after then you're going to have to be able to set that Fs of the box in the car! Its a long process...
As far as the built of the enclosure itself:
Get the parameters of the woofer, and just run it in the winISD program and get the measurements of the maximum size box you'll tolerate on the car.
From my experience, if the front of the speaker and the port opening facing the same direction... AKA front firing into the cabin, you'll get lower frequency response. If firing backwards in to the trunk, you'll get slightly higher Fs in the cabin. SPL is higher when firing into the cabin.
Hope this info helps
Fb is the term you should be using. As in the tuning frequency of the enclosure.
In trunks upfiring is usually not the best direction to fire the subwoofers.
Usually sub back and port back or port to the side works the best.
Custom Enclosure Design

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic