icon

optima battery problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MikeHusain 
Copper - Posts: 139
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2009 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  

Based on my experience with yellow top batteries, they are not worth the money. Purchase another brand.  I purchased my first yellow top with very high expectations and since then, returned two batteries.  I am on my third yellow top right now and this one seems to being holding up somewhat well.  Optima batteries are over rated in my opinion based from past experiences.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2009 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
...also, the "storing batteries on concrete" myth is just that - a myth.
Read here...
From this page comes this:
Q: Will a battery rapidly self discharge if placed on concrete?
A: No, placing a battery on concrete will not cause it to discharge any faster than any other surface.
More information...
From this page:
Concrete — We frequently hear that storing batteries on concrete is bad as it will drain the batteries. ...well it used to be bad back in the days when batteries were constructed out of wooden crates soaked in tar. A long time ago batteries used to ooze electrolyte onto the concrete eventually creating a ground allowing current to leak out as well. This hearsay has been perpetuated as batteries will lose their charge over time. Batteries stored at less than full charge for periods of time will form large, hard sulphate crystals further degrading the battery. Go ahead and store your battery on concrete, just make sure it is charged when you put it away and give it a charge from time to time to prevent sulphation.
Here's the google link, if you want to find more accurate information...
So, spmpdr, with all this information at your fingertips, you can safely believe that storing a battery on a concrete floor is no more dangerous to it than storing it under the hood in your car...
Now, all that being said, you have mistreated that battery. ANY battery will malfunction in any case of mistreatment. The red-top under my hood (and ALL the other red-tops I have ever used) has never once left me stranded, (I've only had it six years, too!) has never discharged to a point to where my lights dimmed; it's never done anything out of the ordinary. The one I had in my '86 Civic lasted almost TEN years, before I got rid of the car - with an OEM 65A alternator and a little better than 1000 watts of system! In Bakersfield, the summer heat here is HELL on an SLA, and the Optimas have held their ground better than ANY other standard SLA battery I have ever used. I, personally, will continue to use them. Expensive, yes, but worth every penny to me!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2009 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
Read here...
A: No, placing a battery on concrete will not cause it to discharge any faster than any other surface.
More information...
From this page:
Concrete — We frequently hear that storing batteries on concrete is bad as it will drain the batteries. ...well it used to be bad back in the days when batteries were constructed out of wooden crates soaked in tar. A long time ago batteries used to ooze electrolyte onto the concrete eventually creating a ground allowing current to leak out as well. This hearsay has been perpetuated as batteries will lose their charge over time. Batteries stored at less than full charge for periods of time will form large, hard sulphate crystals further degrading the battery. Go ahead and store your battery on concrete, just make sure it is charged when you put it away and give it a charge from time to time to prevent sulphation.
So, with all this information at your fingertips, you can safely believe that storing a battery on a concrete floor is no more dangerous to it than storing it under the hood in your car...
Now, all that being said, you have mistreated that battery. ANY battery will malfunction in any case of mistreatment. The red-top under my hood (and ALL the other red-tops I have ever used) has never once left me stranded, (I've only had it six years, too!) has never discharged to a point to where my lights dimmed; it's never done anything out of the ordinary. The one I had in my '86 Civic lasted almost TEN years, before I got rid of the car - with an OEM 65A alternator and a little better than 1000 watts of system! In Bakersfield, the summer heat here is HELL on an SLA, and the Optimas have held their ground better than ANY other standard SLA battery I have ever used. I, personally, will continue to use them. Expensive, yes, but worth every penny to me!

i was just about to bring up that this is a myth, but you beat me to it. thanks for the info.

ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2009 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
MikeHusain wrote:

Based on my experience with yellow top batteries, they are not worth the money. Purchase another brand.  I purchased my first yellow top with very high expectations and since then, returned two batteries.  I am on my third yellow top right now and this one seems to being holding up somewhat well.  Optima batteries are over rated in my opinion based from past experiences.

thinking an optima battery=a good battery, is like thinking BOSE=hi end audio gear. it's all marketing. if marketing makes you "think and believe" it's good, then hey, your gonna think it's good regardless of weather it is or not.

ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2009 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  

oldsmobile94 wrote:
yes i wanna recharge it, yea it sat aroound during winter but was not on concerete sat on a dresser thats about 4ft off the ground. an  i have just an ordianary/basic battery charger. it worked for my red top when i needed it once before an a ton of other batteries.

ok, so whats the problem? i dont understand the original post.

spmpdr 
Copper - Posts: 456
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2009 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
Read here...
More information...
From this page:
So, spmpdr, with all this information at your fingertips, you can safely believe that storing a battery on a concrete floor is no more dangerous to it than storing it under the hood in your car...
Thanks for the info and the link haemphyst, I work in an auto body shop and have been told that forever I will let my co workers know that this is a myth, because right now its like breaking one of the ten commandments if you put a battery down on concrete in our shop lol!!I too have had lots of luck with optima batteries
-A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2009 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
Depending on where you bought the battery, you may be able to exchange it for a new one, no questions asked. As long as you either have the original receipt or your purchase is in the computer history, it should still be under warrenty and can be replaced.
VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2009 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  

spmpdr wrote:
Was the battery sitting on the concrete for a long period of time? Try to charge it even though it says its full. If you have a charger with a 2 amp trickle charge charge it for about 4-5 hours then try it.

Yeah...There isnt much to the concrete myth...When Batteries were first made(1900'ish)...They were made in tar-lined wood boxes...Which caused external leakage...So with todays batteries...And no external leaking...Setting them on concrete really doesnt effect it...In fact...Some believe that the concrete works as a heat sink...essentially slowing down the natural discharge rate(3% a month'ish)Thought i would throw this in there...! We actually do new and reconditioned batteries at the shop...I have a nice big print-out for the customer who doesnt want to buy the battery that was sitting on the concrete...I just refer them to the wall...!

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2009 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry haemphyst...Somehow i missed this WHOLE 2nd page of this concrete myth...Oh well...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic