icon

06 toyota oem alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2009 at 6:56 AM / IP Logged  
Try popping the pocket out to get to it...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 17, 2009 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
The car is four model years old. Car batteries seem to last anywhere from 3-6 years (or a little more if you're lucky).
Many places will test your battery for free, although they obviously have an incentive to try to sell you a new one.......but anyway, with the battery getting a little old and winter coming, now's the time to test the battery.
AutoZone, Sears, Pep Boys, Advance Auto Parts, Toyota dealer.... just get someone to test it.
There is a Toyota-branded, dealer-installed alarm system, should have a model number like VIP3000 or VIP3200.
In place of one of those switch blanks on the dashboard, there should be an LED with the word "SECURITY" in small white capital letters.
However, the VIP systems are almost completely plug-and-play, with just a couple of connections hardwired to the car.
When you say "taps" for connections, do you mean "T-taps?" Do they look like this?
www.autoslot.info/SAMMYW.JPG
If so, it's going to be a pure aftermarket system (that may or may not have been installed at/by the Toyota dealer), and the VIP3000 diagram won't be of any help.
01trublugt 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2009 at 7:37 AM / IP Logged  

Chris Luongo wrote:
There is a Toyota-branded, dealer-installed alarm system, should have a model number like VIP3000 or VIP3200.
In place of one of those switch blanks on the dashboard, there should be an LED with the word "SECURITY" in small white capital letters.
However, the VIP systems are almost completely plug-and-play, with just a couple of connections hardwired to the car.
When you say "taps" for connections, do you mean "T-taps?" Do they look like this?
www.autoslot.info/SAMMYW.JPG
If so, it's going to be a pure aftermarket system (that may or may not have been installed at/by the Toyota dealer), and the VIP3000 diagram won't be of any help.

Well ever since I got her (my mom) to stop using the alarm to lock the car the battery is back to its old self. It carries 12+v with Key off and 14+v while running. She still uses the Fob to unlock the car though but since the alarm is not being armed the problems she was having with the battery and flashing lights when started are gone.

As for the installed system. Yes they used T-Taps to wire it in. I have not had time to get in there and check for numbers on the brain and since it was starting and running fine I was not making it a priority.

As for what system it is I could not tell you. There is a blinking light in one of the blanks that says security, however that thing blinks as soon as you turn the car off and keeps blinking till you turn it back on. There is also an LED/push button mounted a little bit above the dash pocket, like between the pocket and the security light. That light goes on and off with the system and the pushbutton activates valet mode for the alarm.

One thing that I just thought of. If the alarm is armed/disarmed by the door lock pulse then why does it not arm when the doors are manually locked from inside. Is there something that can sense when the doors are opened or closed and will only allow arming when all doors are closed?

She will probably be bringing it in to Toyota within the next few weeks but being out of warranty I am not sure what they would do about the alarm issue which is why I am preparing to take care of it if they can't fix it fairly cheap.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic