icon

acrylic rings for light effect

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hissom08 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2009 at 5:45 AM / IP Logged  
ok ive seen this may times before. ppl using an acrylic ring with leds in the end for a circle of light around a sub or speaker. but i have a few questions.....
1... do i use rods or tubes? im sure they would have diff effects
2... how do i bend them? heat? is hair dryer enuf or do i need to use a heat gun?
3... where do i get them offline? crafts stores maybe?
4... do i need leds in each end or just in 1 end? im guessing both and would i have to sink them inside the ring? like drill a hole for them or is just having them at the end enuf?
5.... if i make a rectangle or square will the light bend round the 90 degree angle?
and of course any tips or more ideas would be much appreciated
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2009 at 7:00 AM / IP Logged  
Lol! I think you would have to use flexible tubes, no blow dryer could bend a non-flexing tube! Round ones will flex better around than the flat tubes!
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2009 at 1:19 AM / IP Logged  

It's best to make the rings from a sheet of plastic just like you were to make a ring from a sheet of wood.

As for lighting, that is not the easiest answer to give. The shape, spread, luminence, brightness, etc. all affect how it will react to the ring, etc. you'll want an LED with a wide arc, but still enough brightness to keep it bright. Also the surface texture and shape will also affect lighting.

For bending around 90s, unless you have polarized plastic already in configuration or fiber optics, it's not going to happen.

Sorry I/we could not have been more help

Ganbatte ne!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
sneakycyber 
Silver - Posts: 413
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2009 at 6:49 AM / IP Logged  
The easiest to use is a clear rod from adjustable blinds need to slightly enlarge the the ends and use a 5mm LED you can use an oven to heat the rod. Its best to find something round such as a soup can to bend the rod around. You will need to work fast because the rod starts to cool very quickyl (it becomes hard in around 20-30 sec). I will try and find the exact article I read to get the oven temps.
blackrosetiger2 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2009 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
just cut out rings from a sheet of plexiglass and use a rotozip with a circular cutting jig on it and measure out the size you want your ring just like you would cutting a hole for a sub and cut out a second circle the width you want your ring. Reinstall your subs over it with longer screws predrilling your plexiglass first Check and make sure it's the width you want (you may want to make it wider or skinnier)Drill a 1/4" deep hole on the inside of the ring where you want your LEDs The size hole you drill will depend on what LEDs you use. (more LEDs = brighter ring) The flange on your sub will cover up the LEDs. Finish up the plexi by removing the protective film and heat treat it with a propane torch heating it up slowly then use a polishing wheel teated with rubbing compound on a bench top grinder to buff it clear.
You only dont know what you don't ask about
Sacred Ground C.C.
blackrosetiger2 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2009 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
Note: Only heat treat the cut sides using a sweeping motion with the torch just like you would do with a spray paint can.
You only dont know what you don't ask about
Sacred Ground C.C.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic