icon

outside lights not flashing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cadillac_coupe 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2009 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  

the outside lights of my 1980 Cadillac Coupe no longer flash when disarming or arming the alarm; it started today and it has never done that before at all. All outside lights do work normally when light switch is pulled out. I checked under the dash for a fuse that the alarm wiring might have and I did not see one; I did see 3, one for the door locks, the power and the other???? but all are fine. Could it be a relay or a fuse that could wired in but  where? Any suggestions as to where to look, start?

Thanks

cadillac_coupe
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2009 at 5:03 AM / IP Logged  
It'd help a little bit if you specify the brand/model of alarm, but it probably doesn't matter much.
If you can access the alarm brain, listen to it closely when you press the arm/disarm buttons. You should hear a relay clicking to flash the lights, either inside the alarm brain or nearby if an external relay was used.
Also if your factory fusebox is under the dash, it'd be good to look at how many amps the factory parking light circuit is fused at.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
absolutepower 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2009 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
some alarms use a fuse instead of a jumper to change polarity in the alarm brain that may be bad  
cadillac_coupe 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2009 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  

hi, thanks to those who responded, what I did was I removed the under panels of the dash and I exposed all the wiring to the alarm and the control unit. On the back of the control unit(module) it has what the wiring is or where it goes to so I was able to see which wire goes to the light output and I traced it to under the carpet, and honestly I felt I did nothing as I did not remove anything. Went outside and pressed the alarm button and the lights flashed. Model of the alarm is a Viper and I got installed more than 8 years ago. Only thing done was I needed a new remote as the old one gave it but it was programmed for the remote trunk release, how can I do that? I still kept the box in which the new remote came in.

Thanks

cadillac_coupe
absolutepower 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2009 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
did u replace it with the exact same remote that u had before
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2009 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like a classic case of a bad connection that has been disturbed.
Hence a common technique - remove & rotate all like-sized fuses (rotate as in swap one fuse for the next, but physical rotation also ok) and disconnect & reconnect connectors. And jiggle battery terminals etc.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2009 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  
If you removed the fuses you probably rebooted it and/or cleared any bad connections.I had a Nokia car kit in a Previa this week not working. I pulled the power plug for a couple of minutes whilst i checked the lives and ground, plugged it back, and lo and behold working.
cadillac_coupe 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2009 at 7:19 AM / IP Logged  

absolutepower wrote:
did u replace it with the exact same remote that u had before

the original alarm came with two remotes which one was lost and the one that still worked eventually gave out; it was a 4 button remote, button one was to arm/disarm, button 2 was to release trunk, buttons 3 and 4 were not used.

When I got the new alarm they(audio express)no longer had an exact replacement as this model was no longer available so they used a different remote but they were able to program it to arm/disarm but they did not program it to release trunk. It is only a 2 button remote. So how can I do it myself, I kept the box the box in which the remote they used came in and I believe in the back it has instructions in how-to. Any help????

cadillac_coupe

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic