icon

06 silverado dead battery issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hatchetman337 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2009 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
.............. Talk about a jinx!! It went dead again yesterday!!06 silverado dead battery issue - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.   
I think I may change the alternator. Not sure if that's it, but my dad said he had a problem before with an alternator draining the battery when it stopped in a certain spot, which would explain why it only happens every so often. ARGH!06 silverado dead battery issue - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.
hatchetman337 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2009 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  
Put a new alternator on it tonight. Let's see how it works..... Hope for the best.06 silverado dead battery issue - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.
biglimpdog 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2009 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  
I noticed something about my remote start yesterday. If you remote start it, the radio will stay on until thedoor is opened again. This could be killing your battery
joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2009 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  

If i'm not mistaking, the radio has a preset time that it stays on.  Of course it will shut off when a door is opened, but if a door is not opened, (you remote start it and decide to kill the remote start and never enter  the vehicle) it shuts off after about ten or fifteen minutes.  Others can verify that...

...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
hatchetman337 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2010 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  

Well, it wasn't the alternator.  It's happened twice since then, about 2 weeks or so apart.  I did notice that for some reason my interior door light on the pass. side stays on sometimes until you open and close any door again.  I pulled the bulb just in case.

Well, I've decided on selling my truck, so I'm having the remote starter pulled in a couple days.  If I have the problem with my next vehicle when the starter is installed, we'll know what it was for sure. 

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

jeremytravis 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2010 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  
Well let me just start off by saying that GM trucks are notorious for battery issues. Well if anyone els has this problem what you can do is check for (Parasitic Current Draw) by disconnecting your negative battery cable set your DMM to milliamperes then attach the red probe to the negative battery cable & the black probe to the negative battery post, let the current draw settle for about 30sec-1min if the standby current measures over 30 milliamperes remove the fuse or fuses from the suspected component and see if the measurement changes, if you observe a significant change you should be able to pinpoint your problem.
**advanced mecp certified
hatchetman337 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2010 at 7:23 AM / IP Logged  
It would be great if it were that simple, but this is so intermittent that who knows if I would EVER catch it in the act unless I had an A meter installed where I could always see it in the driver's seat.
hatchetman337 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2010 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  

Obviously this has been a while, but let me update here.  I removed the remote starter from my truck, but also found a bulb in the door that would sometimes stay on, so I pulled the bulb.  I wasn't quite sure which it might've been, but I sold the truck to a friend's daughter and she hasn't had a single problem....

Until this week.  Apparently last week she had a remote starter installed on it and now it's going dead every few days AGAIN.

I guess it was the starter afterall.  Apparently my/her truck just isn't meant to have one.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2010 at 4:20 AM / IP Logged  
Glad it's sorted but had you done the standard test as posted by jeremytravis you might have found the problem far sooner.
hatchetman337 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2010 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged  
I don't think that would've been easy to do being that it did it so randomly. I could sometimes leave it sitting for several days with no problem, but then I would driver it around on lunch at work, and 4 hours later when it was time to go home, it would be stone dead.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic