icon

dei alarm input to arm and disarm?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wungun 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2009 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
Is there an input on my Viper that I can hook up a passive RFID 'walk-up' setup to disarm and arm the car?
Thanks
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 26, 2009 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  

No, there isn't a wired disarm input.

You could make one by taking apart a remote and soldering directly to the circuit board.

What type of RFID system are you looking at?  Passive RFID stuff has such a limited range and high current draw that it probably wouldn't work very well for "walking up" to the car.

Kevin Pierson
wungun 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2009 at 5:47 AM / IP Logged  
The K9 Sombra (SP)...which is basically an alarm as well, but I want to keep my current setup...
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 27, 2009 at 6:15 AM / IP Logged  

I had one of those for a few months - it doesn't work that well.  With it installed my car would randomly lock and unlock while I was driving down the road.  It's not an actual "RFID" unit (which is a good thing) its a low powered RF unit with a roller ball trigger mounted on the keyfob.  When you walk it triggers the roller ball and the remote starts sending RF signals.  75% of the time the doors were still locked when I was at the car and I had to wait (while doing a little dance to make sure the roller ball was rolling) until the doors were unlocked. 

The unit is now sitting in my garage collecting dust.

Kevin Pierson
wungun 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2009 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

I had one of those for a few months - it doesn't work that well.  With it installed my car would randomly lock and unlock while I was driving down the road.  It's not an actual "RFID" unit (which is a good thing) its a low powered RF unit with a roller ball trigger mounted on the keyfob.  When you walk it triggers the roller ball and the remote starts sending RF signals.  75% of the time the doors were still locked when I was at the car and I had to wait (while doing a little dance to make sure the roller ball was rolling) until the doors were unlocked. 

The unit is now sitting in my garage collecting dust.

Thanks for the heads-up Kevin...I just might go a different route.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic