wattage for 6.5 versus subwoofer.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ddick572 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2009 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
First question:
How do you determine how many watts should go to front/ rear speakers and what should go to the sub? (ie. 4x25 to front/rear and 100 watts to the sub) Is there some type of preferred correlation between the wattage's?
Second question: I believe that still? Rockford, and JL are still quality brands for amps- could you let me know what a few other brands would still be quality for budget prices?
My situation- 2007 Pontiac Torrent SUV going to run 4 6.5" 3-ways for front and rear, and one 8" sub. Am looking for a 4 channel amp between $100.00-150.00. Going for a bit louder and better SQ than my factory setup. Still using factory head w/ rca adapter. Thinking 2 4ohm parallel 2ohm load on each of the first 2 channels for front/back speakers, then 8" SVC or DVC on back two channels.
Interested in the answers to the first 2 questions, and would appreciate feedback on the setup.
Thanks.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2009 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged  
There is no rule of thumb. I have 1200 watts (three-way, actively crossed over) to my doors, but "only" 1000 to my sub. I'm fanatical (even been accused of insanity); few people reach this level.
You'd be wrong about the Rockford choice. It's NEVER been a really good amp, and the years have NOT been kind. JL, on other hand, IS a good amp.
Get a good quality 5 channel amp... It'll cost a little more, but it's a better option all around. You'll be happier with 1: the power distribution and fading capability, 2: the amp will run cooler with lower distortion, and 3: a far better, and higher quality fifth channel for the woofer alone.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
ddick572 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2009 at 8:03 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info. 

The five channel is probably not going to be possible though.  I am trying to conceal the amp, and under the front seats seems like the only option, which will not support an 18+" long amp.  The only other place would be inside the spare tire compartment but that is only 5" of headroom and about 36" in circumference totally sealed off, with no airflow. That is why I'm looking for a 4 channel, which I realize is not the optimum configuration. 

I am hoping a 35-60 watt RMS per speaker amp would be quite a noticeable difference over the basic factory headunit output. 

Without using a 5 channel I believe my only options would be the one described before,which is 2- 4ohm parallel 6.5 speakers 2ohm load on each of the first 2 channels for front/back speakers, then 8" SVC or DVC on back two channels,  OR,  1- 4ohm 6.5 speakers on each of the first 2 channels for front speakers, then 2- 4ohm parallel 6.5 speakers 2ohm load on the 3rd channel and an 8" sub on the 4th channel,  OR just 2 front speakers and a sub.  I would prefer one of the first two options so the backseat passengers have some audio.  I am using these configurations so they fit in factory holes, I can get factory molding that supports an 8" in the cargo area- which is for the upgraded factory sound system, even though I realize I will need to build a sturdier box for the sub behind the molding.

This is only for a budget system upgrade.  I realize that asking you these questions is like asking Einstein whether or not to use a energizer or duracell. I admire your fanatical nature, but am looking for a more common man answer.

So besides JL, which would be good manufacturers, or else if not good, the better of the CRAP for low budget prices?

boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2009 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
 I would run the 2 rear speakers off the factory deck. I would then get an Audison Srx4 ($150-$175) run it in 3 channel mode...........amplifiers size 178mm x 49.5mm x 320mm
boogeyman 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2009 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
 forgot to mention the amp in 3 channel mode is 60w x 2 + 190w x 1 at 4 ohms.
ddick572 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2009 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  

I'm not sure where you found that pricing.  The cheapest I could find for that amp is 250.00.   Also, if I am using a plug on adapter to create RCA's through the speaker leads from the headunit, can I still use the wattage on those channels.  Do I need to splice them or something. 

Would this be good for the application.

Diamond Audio D1 300.4

• D1 Series 4-Channel Class A/B Car Amplifier
  • RMS Power Rating:
    • 4 ohms: 50 watts x 4 chan.
    • 2 ohms: 75 watts x 4 chan.
    • Bridged, 4 ohms: 150 watts x 2 chan.
  • ddick572 
    Member spacespace
    Posted: December 07, 2009 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  

That diamond amp is $150.00.

or how about the JL Audio J2-320.4 for $175.00

• J2 Series 4-Channel Class B Car Amplifier
  • RMS Power Rating:
    • 4 ohms: 60 watts x 4 chan.
    • 2 ohms: 80 watts x 4 chan.
    • Bridged, 4 ohms: 160 watts x 2 chan.
  • ddick572 
    Member spacespace
    Posted: December 07, 2009 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
    Another thing, if I am building a sealed enclosure for the subwoofer, and for example it states it needs .5 cu.ft.  is that just the raw size of the interior space or do I need to take into account the space that the housing and magnet will take up inside the box,  assuming top mounted.
    boogeyman 
    Silver spacespace
    Posted: December 07, 2009 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
    Ihave 3 of those audison amps...2 i got for $150 each the 3rd one I got for $175 I got mine used on another forum..................yes you need to make the internal volume of the box.5 cu.ft.NET...take into account bracing and speaker displacement..........if you hook the LOC to the rear speakers you can still power the rear speakers through the deck.
    ddick572 
    Member spacespace
    Posted: December 08, 2009 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  
    wattage for 6.5 versus subwoofer. - Last Post -- posted image.
    Is this what you are saying can be done?
    Can I do it with all 4 speaker leads?
    There should be no loss to wattage right, since the rca's are only transferring the voltage?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
    This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic