icon

other uses for audio capacitor?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bill64 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2009 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  
   i have an off the wall question for thoes who know about audio capacitors. i recently put a plow on my old f250 and that plow draws a lot of current. i have recently upgraded the battery to a die hard 920 cca, have ordered a 130 amp alternator (now has a 90 amp). any ways someone mentioned to me i may be able to use a audio cap to help stabilize the electrical system. when activating the plow the lights dim down, heater fan really slows down, the plow draws around 150 amps when raising or angling, but when a ram tops out and the hyd. pump deadheads for a moment the draw goes over 200a.i dont know if thoes cap's are desinged for that much of a current draw or in sometimes quick sucsession. im sure the cap would see that much draw if tied right into the plow wiring but also thinking of mounting it in the cab just to kind of "back feed" the system. any thoughts ??   thanks....bill
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 21, 2009 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
Do not waste your time with the cap.  It will do nothing for you.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2009 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
Agreed.
Only another battery (in place of the cap) will provide that sort of hold-up time. (And then to battery voltage, not above 12.8V etc.)   
The only use of a cap is its bling factor. It;s only use for audio work is when connected in series as a DC blocking device for very low frequencies and submarine communications (eg, across lightning arrestors), but polar capacitors are not suited to those applications.
I guess that leaves bling.
And income off the naive.
bill64 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2009 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  
   thanks for the info !
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2009 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
Actually Bill, I am being somewhat dismissive.
Although in your case, the cap won't do much, it can help short-term voltage dips due to short overloads.
They are popular for big audio systems, but I maintain that a small 12V battery in place of the capacitor is far superior, and cheaper! (EG - any small 12V battery of 1AH or larger, preferably AGM/VRLA.)   
But what you are experiencing is a long-term dip due to a load that is larger than your alternator output. Within a few seconds, a capacitor will have discharged to the battery voltage - or lower due to voltage drops from the battery.
(The voltage dips may also be due to wire resistances - ie, the Big-3, or shared ground and +12V paths with the heavy load (plow).)
incognyto 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2009 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
I agree, my cap will be taken out and put on craigslist for some rookie to use hehe, couple big batt's from costco 100 bux a pop will make that plow work great i think 90 amp would be good for charging them too. you can get delco remy cs144's to fit almost anything 120-140 amp alternator's ;) if your running a plow though you prolly have the heat on and big light's and the radio for entertainment also :)
bill64 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2009 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
   incognyto did you use that cap for your plow??  im not planning on using a cap for mine from what i learned here, just curious :)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic