icon

momentary push buttons for turn signals

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
scrapyard 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2009 at 6:26 AM / IP Logged  

Hello everyone. Recently found this forum. A lot of great info going on around here.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to use NO momentary push butons to activate the turn signals. I'm interested in using 2 seperate buttons, 1L- 1R.

I'm woundering if it would be similar to using this type of relay and hook up, but leaving one output pin disconnected? Just duplicate it for each side?

http://www.dragspecialties.com/pdfs/DS-324201.pdf

Is this over kill or am I kind of on the right track?

Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 27, 2009 at 7:02 AM / IP Logged  
How were you planning on canceling the blinker after you turn it on?
scrapyard 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2009 at 7:19 AM / IP Logged  

With that setup I posted above, if you push the button a second time it will switch the contact back to the unconnected pin.

In the inteded config, it's ment to switch between the high and low beam. In that case one or the other is always on. Basicly, I was think leave one side unhooked and that would be the off position.

Basicly, I'm woundering if there's a better or simpeler way to go about it.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 27, 2009 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
I did not look at your relay until now.  I would have to say that there is going to be no easier way to accomplish your goal.  I did not look in detail at your relay, but if it is a latching relay with the same wire to latch and unlatch it, I hope I will be able to find this post later on when i need a relay like that.
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2010 at 7:12 AM / IP Logged  
$66 for the two relays does seem like overkill for the application. I'd consider regular relays with electronic drivers. Then you could even have them timed for auto off and have them set up so turning on one side automatically turns off the other.
With the double latching relay setup, it'd be a hassle to have to make sure you don't turn on both sides at the same time (although maybe that'd be handy for hazard lights)
audioduck 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2010 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
Some old VW vans and Karman Ghis had a similar headlight relay that costs about $16 each and would pro9bably work. Don't know the part offhand.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2010 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
I'm thinking of my old Yamaha RD-400 which used a spring-loaded momentary left or right to start flashing.
Flashing was canceled either by pushing the button in, else after a certain distance (pulses from speedo/cable counted).
I think I have of can figure out simple circuits for this (assuming a chip or FET(s) etc is considered simple) else maybe some diode-relay trickery, but being an old OP thread, I'll refrain until prompted....

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic