icon

opinion on viper 5701

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
silent99 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2010 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  

I recently had a viper 5701 installed at a local shop that was listed on viper's website as an authorized installer and wanted to get some opinions on the install job they did.

The brain is mounted right under the steering column as shown:

opinion on viper 5701 - Last Post -- posted image.

As you can see the siren is clearly visible right at the surface and is zipped tied to the car, with nothing done to conceal the wires.

I have poor performance from the shock sensor probably due to where the brain is located. I took it back once and it appears that he cut some of the zip ties holding the brain down and the alarm is now on the maxium sensitivty for the shock sensor and you still have to really bang on the back of the vehicle for the alarm to go off. Also it doesnt appear the switch to disable the remote start was not installed or most likely ziptied in with the bundle of wires going to the brain.

Just wanted to get some opinions on what I should do about this situation and if this considered a good install by a viper authorized installer.

silent99 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2010 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
By the way, this is a 2001 ford explorer.
el ranchero 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2010 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
At times the shock sensor cannot be set to cover all parts of the car because it will become too sensitive, the back and the rear end of the car will be less sensitive than the front, has for the install, if there is no place to screw the siren because of lack of space, i would wire tie the siren ahs long has its well secured, has for the swithc for the auto start this does need to be installed for maintanace safety, just take the car back and ask politly for what u want, just dont be rude because that is how u will be treated back.
rocker
x1le 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2010 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
looks kinda "meh" in my opinion. especially the brain location.
silent99 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2010 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  

I had another explorer that I had a 5701 installed in and the siren was concealed and screwed into the car and the wires were made to look like a factory harness and the brain could not be seen from underneath the dash and the sensitivity was perfect. To be honest this install is poor compared to the install done by Best Buy.

metz35 
Copper - Posts: 458
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2010 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
my opion, 6 out of 10, i seen a butt connector, a zipp tied siren, no wire loom, and you could actually find the brain(which in my installs is a no no). just my 2 pennies
jcs091570 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 2:31 AM / IP Logged  
I am very anal when it comes to things like this..so that is why I re-did it myself on my car and upgraded the system. From what I saw, the alarm brain-a little better than I expected, but all a thief has to do given a short minute is to pull the fuse or cut the red power wire I see. The siren mount is almost as bad as the one done on my car. If they were to break the glass, pop your hood..siren wires right there-snip it's over. The heat from the engine compartment will eventually decay the zip ties and the siren would probably come loose as well. Take it back and have them re locate the siren perhaps under the battery tray or beneath the drivers headlight.
jeremytravis 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  
I install at Best Buy, you need to be nice and just tell the installer what's up! This is not ok, there is always somewhere to mount the siren, if he will not fix it let us fix it!
**advanced mecp certified

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic