mono impedance

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
car0linab0y 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 7:07 AM / IP Logged  

This is what I get for shopping while intoxicated... but my question is:

Can a "mono" 1ohm stable amp run two 1ohm vc's in stereo, or would it look like a .5ohm load the same as having them parallel with the amp bridged?  The amplifier in question is a US Amps XT4000DE.

And kind of off topic... why do "mono" amps have two chanels anyway?  I've always wondered about that.

blackcivichatch 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  
The mono amp doesn't have 2 channels, it jus has 2 places to connect speakers to the same channel..
If you connect both speakers to the amp it will be a .5 Ohm load which wouldn't be good on that amp.
You can wire them in series giving you a 2 ohm load and you'll be fine but only be getting half the power.
UNLABELED Custom Car Club President
car0linab0y 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  

blackcivichatch wrote:
The mono amp doesn't have 2 channels, it jus has 2 places to connect speakers to the same channel..
If you connect both speakers to the amp it will be a .5 Ohm load which wouldn't be good on that amp.
You can wire them in series giving you a 2 ohm load and you'll be fine but only be getting half the power.

that's what I figured... it was hope and a prayer to be able to run both coils at 1ohm/ea lol.  worst come to worse, I can sell thesub and get the dual 2ohm version w/o taking a loss moneywise, or sell the amp and get two smaller ones, one for each vc.  I think running at 2ohm should get me through though.  thanks for the intel.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
Are you going to compete?
Here's an option: Run one voice coil. Short the other one. Same box size as "running both", it'll give you all the power you think you'll be losing by running the amp into 2-ohms, and it's PERFECTLY safe to do so, with only a 20% reduction in overall power handling (not 50% as I know you are thinking)... You'll be running your amp as hard as you possibly can, losing damping and losing efficiency, but gaining distortion! Also, the amp won't last as long as it could! WHEEE!!!!
OR: Run the voice coils in series. You'll have EXACTLY the same output as the above suggestion, improving the amp's longevity and efficiency, lowering your distortion, and improving your damping!
Huh... Which way makes more sense?
Honestly, I just DO NOT UNDERSTAND why people think they have to "run the amp as hard as possible" to feel like they "are getting as much as they can", or "getting all they paid for". Taking one 2-ohm woofer with identical specifications as a 1-ohm woofer, and running on the same amplifier, will only be 3dB "quieter". The human ear cannot hear that difference in a car environment! Run the damn thing at 2-ohms!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
incognyto 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  
I totally agree! I think it's funny watchin people think that a mono amp has 2 channel's when they're wiring it.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  

There is only one 2 channel mono amp out there that I know of.  It is actually 2 strapped amps in one heat sink.  In the following picture notice that there are 1 ohm markings on each set of connections.  Notice at the bottom of the connector they are labeled 2 ohm across the outer connectors.  So basically this amp will run 1 ohm per amplifier, or 2 ohms across both amps.   The amp is a Massive Audio P3000,1 

mono impedance - Last Post -- posted image.

incognyto 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
NICE!!! that amp just gave me a chubby! makes my 500/1's look like anorexic drunk chick's
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 25, 2010 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  
I have not seen one of those amps in at least a year.  I posted the picture and I got to work this morning and there was one on my bench.  So if you need hep with the Chubby I can take and post more pictures.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic