icon

2 subs blown in a month

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2010 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
Feel like arguing ey...? My point was to use the search feature as there are plenty of info on this subject...It has been answered and did not feel like opening"a can of worms"...It tells you the benefit of breaking in and the myth's associated with ruining a sub by "NOT" breaking one in...I didnt say that caused his failure...ONLY to refer to the search feature b/c this has been put to rest...Easy there...Dude...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2010 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  

Speakers need to be broken in because it makes them sound better.  They do NOT need to be broken in to prevent damaging them.(Dyohn)

You folks may be misinterpreting what speaker break-in is all about.  It is not some magical thing that is necessary for the drivers to operate properly, it is simply a natural phenomenon that occurs in ALL loudspeakers whether you like it or not as they are used.  The soft parts become more compliant and the speaker operates better, moves more freely, sounds better, etc.  It is not a myth and it is not BS it is physics.  Period.(Dyohn)

Here's the bottom line:  No speaker "requires" break-in to prevent some sort of damage.  All speakers potentially operate better and can sound better after they are "broken-in."  Period.  The proof is in the ears of the listener and the effect is different for every speaker.  Every speaker is different and reacts to operation differently.  The most common effect of break-in is a lowered fs.  Some manufacturers recommend a break-in period because their experience shows that their speakers sound better if it is done.  Others don't.  Simple(Dyohn)

I think there is an article from Adire audio regarding this also...See if i can find it...

M.E.C.P & First-Class
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2010 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
 Causes of speaker failure

The causes for speaker failure can be either thermal or mechanical.

The causes for thermal failure are : 

• too much input power
  • signals outside the speaker bandpass (radio frequency, subsonic frequencies, deep bass). Energy not to converted to sound ends up as heat
  • amplifier clip, the most common cause of thermal failure
  • direct current (DC) at the amplifier output, although this is uncommon in today's amplifiers
  • excessive equalization, mostly high frequencies, since these frequencies exhibit low transducer efficiency and generate lots of heat

To prevent thermal failure, avoid amplifier clip and ensure that the speaker is only receiving frequencies within its bandpass, using high-pass and low-pass filters to limit the frequency content being fed to the speaker.

The causes for mechanical failure are always linked to excessive diaphragm (cone) movement. The speaker shows greater excursion (backward and forward movement) the lower the frequency. Hence a signal low enough in frequency and large enough in level may cause the voice coil to exit the gap, resulting in the coil rubbing, and possible ending up shorting or opening. The worst case scenario happens when the coil former hits the bottom pole piece ("bottoms out") and gets deformed. To prevent mechanical failure, avoid using signals below a speaker's bandpass, and use an amplifier of the correct power output.

5. Selecting amplifier power

In general, the amplifier power needs to be larger than the speaker's rated power. This is because an amplifier only delivers its rated output power with sinewave signal, and delivers much less with a real signal with dynamics. As ageneral guideline, it is recommended to use an amplifier delivering 50% more power than the speaker's average ("RMS") power. For example, for a speaker with 450W average power, an amplifier with an output of 700W may be used. If a small amplifier is used, sufficient level will not be reached, nor the perception that it is attained, so the signal will tend to be clipped to compensate, thus endangering the integrity of the speaker... http://www.doctorproaudio.com/doctor/temas/powerhandling.htm

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~74226~PN~1~TPN~3

http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

M.E.C.P & First-Class
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2010 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
Have fun with that. Like i said i don't care to get into this discussion.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2010 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
What are you talking about...I'm lost...? Have fun with what...? Where are you coming from...? What is your thought process...? Never did i say the "break-in was the problem...If you bothered to read what i posted i think its in there somewhere...! I have NO idea what you're saying...? (another link... http://www.audiogroupforum.com/csforum/showthread.php?t=4332&highlight=clipping+blown )
M.E.C.P & First-Class
zerepdivad 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2010 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
Ok well back on topic. Original poster.... learn how to tune an amp or read up on it, or take it to somebody to do it for you. You'll just keep going through subs/money.
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2010 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  

zerepdivad wrote:
Ok well back on topic. Original poster.... learn how to tune an amp or read up on it, or take it to somebody to do it for you. You'll just keep going through subs/money.

Everything i posted was for "his" topic...And to kill the break-in mumbo-jumbo before it got started...The links i provided are the likely situations of what happened to his subs...That would be on-topic...Maybe a bit more informative then your answer...?

M.E.C.P & First-Class
zerepdivad 
Posted: February 09, 2010 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
tommy... wrote:

zerepdivad wrote:

Everything i posted was for "his" topic...And to kill the break-in mumbo-jumbo before it got started...The links i provided are the likely situations of what happened to his subs...That would be on-topic...Maybe a bit more informative then your answer...?

I agree it is all relevant. But likely over his head. No offense to him but he's blowing subs with a sony xplod amp likely purchased at wal-mart. The fact that he blew 2 subs in a row tells me that he's likely to not understand most of what's in the links that you provided. Therefore i cut right to the point and told him in very basic terms.
mrarff 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2010 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  
I might can offer another cause of "premature speaker ejaculation". It's a ding bat who doesn't bother to match his equipment (he buys what his buddies say is kool) , has a "ghetto install" performed (turning his gains all the way up) and then roars down to the Dairy Queen with his "system wide ass open and a smug look on his face.Then when it turns into a great big pumpkin,he wonders wth happened. I've seen my son do it twice, he's a slow learner.
"That'll get ya 10 in Leavenworth,11 in Twelveworth, or 5 & 10 in Woolworth". Groucho Marx                                                      
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2010 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  

mrarff wrote:
I might can offer another cause of "premature speaker ejaculation". It's a ding bat who doesn't bother to match his equipment (he buys what his buddies say is kool) , has a "ghetto install" performed (turning his gains all the way up) and then roars down to the Dairy Queen with his "system wide ass open and a smug look on his face.Then when it turns into a great big pumpkin,he wonders wth happened. I've seen my son do it twice, he's a slow learner.

Now THAT's funny.  And accurate.  2 subs blown in a month - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic